Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Going to look at a 1964 Daytona R1 car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Going to look at a 1964 Daytona R1 car.

Did they make any full package cars with an R1.

Dusty Taylor

My father-in law had a 64 Cruiser, R1, power shift full package with a am-fm radio. Sold it and the guy stripped the body off. Bill from Packard Farms ended up with the complete Chassey. Same guy bought a 63 GT R2 4 speed full package from dad and he stripped it also.

Comment

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
      Did they make any full package cars with an R1.
      Yes, Dusty; quite a few of them.

In 1964, Option #36 was "Super Performance Package with R1."

The price varied from $556.70 on Commanders to $371.70 on Hawks.

I see you're looking at a Daytona. The Full Super R1 Package was $521.70 on Daytonas; any body style. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 12-04-2018, 02:06 PM. Reason: added Daytona pricing
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob as soon as I get the numbers I will post them here. I hope that some one can tell if it a full package car.

Dusty Taylor

Comment

A “Full Package Car” sounds impressive, but is not much different than a non-package Jet Thrust car. A full package car includes heavy duty springs and shock absorbers, and a grille emblem.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            A “Full Package Car” sounds impressive, but is not much different than a non-package Jet Thrust car. A full package car includes heavy duty springs and shock absorbers, and a grille emblem.
            Also rear sway and traction bars.

Comment

And a 160 mph speedometer. I almost said 160 speedo, but that imagery scared me. Cuz I know what some of us would look like equipped with a speedo. Ugh.
              sals54

Comment

One must be careful saying what equipment is or is not included in a full-package car. As 1963 and 1964 production continued, more and more equipment formerly on full package cars migrated to non-package cars when ordered with R1 or R2 engines. It's almost like you need to know the production date of a non-package car to determine what equipment it might have.

For example, the 160 speedometer on this 1964 R2 Hawk is the car's original equipment, but it is not a full-package car, per the build sheet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5043.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1724536

Also, IIRC, this car (which is now back in California) had a rear sway bar and radius rods...but, again, it was not a Super Hawk. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My '64 R2 Hawk was sold to me as a full package. However, when I got the build sheet it was a surprise. Instead of doing the easy thing and checking the full package box they did it ala carte and left off the heavy duty springs, but got everything else, plus AM/FM. Weird
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Went and looked at the car it is not a package car. But it is a R1 power shift. Here is some numbers on the car.
                    Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

To me, the engine appears that it at least started as a regular 289 cid and not an R1.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        To me, the engine appears that it at least started as a regular 289 cid and not an R1.
                        The engine number should start with JT. Does it have any of the 'R' equipment such as oilpan and breather tube? 4bbl manifold without crossover slots?
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I will have to go back and look at the motor some more. I think that someone has put the R1 badge on the grill and the finders the first time I looked at it years ago. It has a 4 barrel on it but I didn't get the numbers off of it. I have got more pictures on my phone that I will put on studebaker addicts.

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
                            Went and looked at the car it is not a package car. But it is a R1 power shift. Here is some numbers on the car.
                            Dusty; that is the engine with which 64V5749 was manufactured: PJ311.

It was ordered with 4-bbl carb, dual exhausts, and Powershift Floor Automatic transmission.

(Yes, I know the 3 in the engine number could be mistaken for a 5, but it has to do with the angle at which it was struck.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              One must be careful saying what equipment is or is not included in a full-package car. As 1963 and 1964 production continued, more and more equipment formerly on full package cars migrated to non-package cars when ordered with R1 or R2 engines. It's almost like you need to know the production date of a non-package car to determine what equipment it might have.

For example, the 160 speedometer on this 1964 R2 Hawk is the car's original equipment, but it is not a full-package car, per the build sheet:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77355[/ATTACH]

Also, IIRC, this car (which is now back in California) had a rear sway bar and radius rods...but, again, it was not a Super Hawk. BP
                              That speedometer looks awfully familiar, Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X