Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64 Powershift transmission still leaking from selector/throttle shaft after replacing seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: 64 Powershift transmission still leaking from selector/throttle shaft after replacing seals.

I still have a steady drip from around the throttle/selector shafts on my 64 Hawk with a Powershift automatic I replaced both seals with new ones and it did not stop the leak. Can these shafts actually wear out? I can't figure out how to stop the leaking! I hate to open it back up again as it's a PITA to get the selector shaft ball bearing on the spring back together!!
    Thanks.

The only logical thing things that can cause that are:

The Seals Not seated squarely in the bore.

The Seals are NOS, and not fresh New stock.

The Shafts are worn.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ditto. Another thing is fluid level. Run it in neutral before checking fluid level. If the car sits fluid will drain out of convertor and raise the level in the case to selector shaft level. I bought my '61 Hawk in 1970. It leaked then and it still leaks on floor over winter. A pint of fluid annually does not seem to be justification for a big shop bill that may very well not solve the problem.

Comment

Curious if you recall the filler tube guide that is spot welded to the pan being in place. The filler tube sets against (centered) it and on a lot of these cars the tabs are gone. If the tube is just put in place and tightened , it can end up too 'high' . You would be overfilling the transmission by enough to make it leak more than just a 'converter drain-back' situation.....

Comment

Are use of speedy sleeves possible for this application? I would think so since this is a popular transmission for a variety makes and models of vehicles...

Comment

Now you did install the larger of the 2 seals correctly? The side with the lip on it is installed to the inside. The 2 seals are common fit ford C 4 or C 6 transmissions. the manual lever and throttle pressure levers are hardened steel, very hard to even nick with a file. I use a piece of steel 5/16 cooler / fuel line with the seat on it to hold the ball in position. Lou Cote

Comment

It sounds like I have it overfilled. I put the seal in correctly as instructed. I like the trick to hold the ball in place whilst installing the shaft cam. I wish I knew that earlier! Thanks everyone.

Comment

Here's another one to try ...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02361.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1724642Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02362.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1724643

Comment

Here's another one to try, when you want to put the selector back in place.
                  Hold the detent ball down with a flat steel rule and run the cock's -comb over it.
                  .Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02361.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1724642Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02362.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1724643

Comment

When parking the vehicle, put the trans in neutral and apply the parking brake. Then slip the trans into park, keeping the parking brake engaged. This keeps the lateral pressure on the shift lever caused by the trans parking detent. The leakage will probably be diminished or eliminated.

Comment

I use a piece of metal resembling a feeler gauge with a small hole in it. The ball sits in the hole a bit better than just on a flat ....

Comment

Thank-you everyone for all the great tips! Now I am noticing a small puddle of coolant that comes out under the front of the motor every now and then! These things never stop leaking. I guess I need a new water pump now. GRRRRR!

Comment

Working...
                        X