Clutch stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch stuck

The clutch in my 54 Land Cruiser wont disengage. Hasn't been driven much this year. Remedy??

There are a number of ways. The one I use is to jack up the rear end. Put in third gear, start the engine, rev it up, [edit]put the clutch in, and slam on the brakes. It should break free.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

[QUOTE=Skip Lackie;1137310]There are a number of ways. The one I use is to jack up the rear end. Put in third gear, start the engine, rev it up and slam on the brakes. It should break free.[/QUOTE Holding the clutch to the floor.

Comment

Right. Thanks Jim. I will edit.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

In 1964 I was checking out a 1952 Desoto that was parked beside a garage. It had a fluid drive and a stuck clutch, so I drove it to a tree and pressed the front bumper to the tree, then pushed in the clutch and gave it some gas. It popped free right away. I usually try driving the car on a road with no traffic, then push the clutch in and throttle the gas pedal off and on. If that doesn't work, then I'd jack it up and do as mentioned above.

Comment

When I had this problem with my Champ I had room in our long driveway to start it in 1st, get up a little speed, depress the clutch peddle and hit the brakes. That did the trick.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Depends how long it's been stuck. If only a few months, I've been able to get them to free up by starting the engine (in neutral), letting the engine idle for 20 minutes or so, then (still in neutral) push the clutch in and blip the throttle a few times.

Comment

Working...
              X