flathead six exhaust header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: flathead six exhaust header

I've asked about this before, but I've had absolutely no luck finding anyone who will build a four-into-two exhaust header for a 169 flathead six. It seems like someone could sell several of them if they were to build them. I can't be the only one who wants one. Or am I?

I can't even find anyone who has a flange kit for that engine for people who want to build their own exhaust. The flanges certainly existed at one time because the 169 was a fairly common engine in sprint cars in the early 50s. If we end up having some flanges made for our own do-it-yourself project, would anyone else be interested in them?

Or can anyone steer me to someone who could build a nice, race car-looking header? Thanks.

I know a guy. I'll see if he's interested.

Comment

A header for the Champion is nice bling, but until some serious money is spent on a cam, larger intake valves, porting, intake manifold and compression, the header won't give a large horsepower increase. Does sound good, though.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        A header for the Champion is nice bling, but until some serious money is spent on a cam, larger intake valves, porting, intake manifold and compression, the header won't give a large horsepower increase. Does sound good, though.

jack vines
        You're right about that sound, Jack. It sounds sweeeet. If you saw the movie "Cars", it sounds very much like the Hudson Hornet does in that movie.
        sals54

Comment

I already have a Morgan high-compression aluminum head and Morgan dual-carb intake for the engine, apparently 50s sprint car engine pieces. My engine is presently stock but is too fresh right now to make me want to open it up. Eventually porting and larger valves may happen, but now I just want to make it look like a barn find hot rod from the 50s. The extra torque the engine might make from the higher compression will just be a pleasant bonus. I need a header because the Morgan intake doesn't leave room for a split exhaust manifold, and because they look and sound right for what I want the car to be. Any help finding someone who can build a nice 4-into-2 header will be much appreciated.

Comment

The exhaust flange would not be too tough to fabricate with a cut off wheel and a hole saw. I made an intake for a 6 that way. Use 1/2” bar stock so the clamps match. Then have a hot rod minded muffler shop fab a set for you. You’ll want duals out the back to get that great sound anyway.
            sals54

Comment

If the Morgan intake leaves room for a stock manifold, it should leave room for a split one. I know a guy here who has done the split-manifold deal with dual carbs on the Champion six. It definitely has a unique sound to it. Basically, you cut the manifold between ports 2 and 3, weld the cut ends closed, and add a dump tube and flange on the rear half, parallel to the original. The original heat riser stays with the front half.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                If the Morgan intake leaves room for a stock manifold, it should leave room for a split one. I know a guy here who has done the split-manifold deal with dual carbs on the Champion six. It definitely has a unique sound to it. Basically, you cut the manifold between ports 2 and 3, weld the cut ends closed, and add a dump tube and flange on the rear half, parallel to the original. The original heat riser stays with the front half.
                We just pulled the intake/exhaust manifold off a '52 Champion and were surprised to see someone had welded a second exhaust outlet between #3 and #4, but had not split and blocked between #2 and #3. That would sound different, but maybe not worth all the effort and expense to put the second system on it.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

THis guy has flanges for Studebaker 224 259 289

Im going to can tact him to see if they will do the 6's as well.

I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
                  sigpic
                  I'll Tattoo you anytime!
                  And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
                  Crazy Lady Ink
                  Shakopee Mn.
                  952-445-3281
                  27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

No, the Morgan intake does not leave room for a split intake. Not even close. It was obviously a racing part and its runners are very short, only 3/4" from the side of the block to the side of the intake's large plenum, meaning even a tubing header will have to turn downward immediately at the exhaust port in order to allow room for the intake manifold be bolted in place. On the other hand, Offenhauser makes a dual-carb intake that will work with a split exhaust manifold because the Offy intake has longer intake runners that position the plenum and carbs far enough away from the block to allow a rewelded, split exhaust casting to be bolted to the block along with the Offy intake. I know it's a little crazy, but since I have these nice Morgan parts I'd like to use them, and a header is the only way that can happen.

Comment

Thanks for the update on the Morgan intake. That is one I have never seen, and somewhere I have a brochure from the Frank Morgan company, too. What about making a spacer (or set thereof) to space the intake further out from the block to allow for a regular split manifold? Real short intake passages usually perform well only at very high RPM, and aren't offer compatible with street use. Look at all the modern EFI engines with their very long, but equal-length, intake runners.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by dstude View Post
                        No, the Morgan intake does not leave room for a split intake. Not even close. It was obviously a racing part and its runners are very short, only 3/4" from the side of the block to the side of the intake's large plenum, meaning even a tubing header will have to turn downward immediately at the exhaust port in order to allow room for the intake manifold be bolted in place. On the other hand, Offenhauser makes a dual-carb intake that will work with a split exhaust manifold because the Offy intake has longer intake runners that position the plenum and carbs far enough away from the block to allow a rewelded, split exhaust casting to be bolted to the block along with the Offy intake. I know it's a little crazy, but since I have these nice Morgan parts I'd like to use them, and a header is the only way that can happen.
                        I'm confused here. Can the Morgan intake manifold be not be used with in conjunction with an OEM exhaust manifold? Splitting the OEM exhaust manifold and adding a second outlet for the rear two exhaust ports has been done with the Champion for the past seventy-five years.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

If someone will explain how to add photos to a post, I'll add some pictures of the Morgan intake (and the head, if anyone is interested). Both are very nice pieces. I just haven't seen any of the common icons for adding a photo to the posts. Thanks.

Comment

Is it different from this example?
                            Attached Files
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                              Is it different from this example?
                              Sure looks like a modified exhaust would fit since the stock exhaust fits fine.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X