Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: coolant leak

I was running my 259 the other day and discovered a coolant leak at the "T" fitting. When the engine was cold the leak was visible with a visible drip about every 2-3 seconds as the engine warmed up the drips turned into visible steam when the engine was at operating temperature the steam was barely visible to almost invisible. This search for the leak was started when I noticed the radiator was down about a quart however at that time there was no visible leak(s) any where and I didn't notice any steam. The leak manifested it self only at startup, however it was leaking all the time but I couldn't see it. I had a damaged clamp that was not perfectly round, I replaced the clamps for about two bucks and solved the problem. This is to bring to light how elusive leaks can be, checking the engine when hot may not show anything where as checking cold may. FWIW.

Good tip. A small leak can be very hard to find unless you can see a trail where the coolant has dried.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

This is a perfect example of why the "Aviation" or better know as worm type hose clamps are not as good as the type used back in the day. The type that require pliers to open the clamp (Zoro) have no pressure points that the worm type have thus eliminating these small holes and pressure points that can cause leaks. The Zoro type are still available.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09826.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1724365This is what my "T" fitting looked like inside when I removed the hose. I temporarily repaired it with some epoxy but I do have to replace it as it still leaks. It looked perfect from the out side.

Comment

Working...
        X