Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

piston cinch pin removal on '55 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: piston cinch pin removal on '55 259

My search yesterday for a single piston for the 259 was successful. Today I started to dismantle the rod from the existing damaged, piston. A " screw pin" goes through the top of the rod. The flat spot on the pin must match up with a flat spot groove on the wrist pin. A nut and lock washer are installed on the side of screw pin with the flat side showing. The other side of this screw pin has a round flat bladed screw head. If you think that'll move counter clockwise, think again. I believe the screw head is there just to make working with this pin easier. I don't think it really screws into anything because there is a nut and lock washer on the "T" side of the piston. And if the flat part of the cinch pin is matched up to a groove, seems like one set of threads might be working against the other. Ive tried heat, wd 40 and different removal methods. I did try unscrewing it at first. Thought I'd quit and check with some of you experienced guys before I bust the crap out of everything! Any advice will of course be very appreciated.

I usually back the nut off, remove the star washer, screw the nut just about all of the way back on and then tap the nut with a brass mallet. I've used this technique for years with good results. Just be sure when tapping on the nut, that the rod isn't hitting the piston skirt. Bud

Comment

Remove the nut, and lock washer, and install the nut on the opposite side, and tighten it.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The Studebaker service manual has the procedure in it.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks all. Found it in the manual. Don't know how or why I missed it . Guess I just kind of panicked and hit the forum.

Comment

Working...
          X