Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Looking for a Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Looking for a Fuel Tank

Hi Folks:

I am new to Studebakers and the forum. We now have a 61 Lark Convertible that has a leaky gas tank. Does anyone know where I could find a new one or a non leaking old one? Or even one that might be somewhat compatible? My understanding is that the convertible's tanks are a bit different in the first generation Larks.

Thanks for your help;

Bob Traynor
    Fort Collins, CO
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1759741

I would choose to recondition the one you've got. At this point the replacements are pretty scarce.
    It IS a do-it-yourself project; or many radiator shops can do it for you.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You can use any 1959 -1961 Lark tank from a '6' or an "8' except from a wagon. If you don't find one near you I could ship from WA. but not cheap.

Comment

Thanks Brad......This is my last resort as I have found some shops close by that might do it for us.

Comment

How much is not cheap?

Bob

Comment

I don't know. Lately they want $50 bucks to ship a $100 part..... I can look into it if you don't find one closer.

Are you sure the sender or the filler or the line is not the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
              You can use any 1959 -1961 Lark tank from a '6' or an "8' except from a wagon. If you don't find one near you I could ship from WA. but not cheap.
              I found that Greyhound is the cheapest for bulky things like gas tanks. Had a c/k tank shipped from the Los Angeles area to Austin, TX for $50 or so...

Comment

So , I pulled some tanks and have a perfect 59-61 tank, no rust inside or outside. a 30x30x12 inch package, 20 pounds is $133 to Fort Collins...

UPS may be an option but they are an hour away and only open when they feel like it.

Greyhound may be an option if I knew where they were.

Comment

Bellingham is the nearest drop off point to me. Greeley is the nearest to Fort Collins. ........ $54 bucks plus our driving around...

Comment

Fastenal is also a way to ship, and lower cost than others from what I hear.
                    You need to drop off and pick up at a Fastenal store.

Comment

Originally posted by rmtraynor View Post
                      Hi Folks:

I am new to Studebakers and the forum. We now have a 61 Lark Convertible that has a leaky gas tank. Does anyone know where I could find a new one or a non leaking old one? Or even one that might be somewhat compatible? My understanding is that the convertible's tanks are a bit different in the first generation Larks.

Thanks for your help;

Bob Traynor
                      Fort Collins, CO
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]76916[/ATTACH]
                      Its a nice looking 61.
                      Welcome to the Studebaker Forum

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1724347

Comment

Learn new stuff everyday. Thanks! I have a Fastenall very close to here.

Comment

Nice looking Lark. Does it have the 259 V8? Love that motor's response and the gas mileage is a lot better than expected for a V8. Gives a nice ride, too. Love those first generation Larks. Best of luck with yours.

Comment

SDC Members:

Thanks for all your nice comments and your help in finding a gas tank....A number of you responded here and privately....I finally found one, it is being reconditioned by our local restore shop and then we will do a remove and replace.

Best Regards;
                            Bob Traynor

Comment

Working...
                            X