Is this a Correct Gas Cap for a 1950 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Is this a Correct Gas Cap for a 1950 Land Cruiser

My other Studebakers have 2 grip knobs on the caps. The only time I've seen a plain round cap, and also the only time I've seen a painted gas cap, is when it's an external cap such as used on pickups with the tank behind the seat. The black paint does match the rest of the car however, but does anyone know if this is correct for a 1950 Land Cruiser?

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1759694

It very likely IS a Vented Cap and quite usable on a 1950, but we could tell better if it will fit and seal properly with a bottom view of the Cogs that secure it and the Gasket surface.

These Round ones are an OK replacement for the OEM kind with 2 Little "handles", but this one is VERY old having that recessed center, and may have a deteriorated Gasket.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are a couple photos of an NOS cap, part number 523821(I hope that's correct as this is obviously non-vented).

Name:	1950gascap2.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1724250Click image for larger version

Name:	1950gas cap1.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1724251
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I guess I now know where my gas cap came from. Just saw this on ebay.
        I know Studebaker owned Eaton, and Eaton and Stant made gas caps.
        I wonder who made the gas caps for Studebaker?

Name:	Gas Cap.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1724254

Comment

As the 1950 gas tank has no other vents I would always make sure the tank gas cap is vented
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
            As the 1950 gas tank has no other vents I would always make sure the tank gas cap is vented
            Yes, for sure. That's why I wonder why Dan's cap pictured above has the correct part number for 1950, but it says "NOT VENTED". A person has to be careful buying off ebay, as many of the listed caps also are non vented.

I just checked both my 50 Champion and Land Cruiser, and they both have vented anti surge caps.

Comment

Here are the pictures of my Champion and Land Cruiser caps. For some reason I couldn't get them to post on my last reply.

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	1724262 Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1724263 Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1724264

Comment

Can a nonvented gas cap be drilled to be vented? Just curious.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                  Can a nonvented gas cap be drilled to be vented? Just curious.

Mark
                  Usually does not have to be drilled. A pair of pliers can remove the seal and then the cap will be vented. The non-vented caps that I have seen had an additional center seal. Removing that left the original outer seal and made the cap vented.

There was a big discussion at a Nash show 40 years ago when someone's car would not run because it had a non-vented cap on it. Everyone was coming up with the most ridiculous ideas, drilling the filler tube and basically modifying the expensive non-removable part, while keeping the inexpensive removable part. I took one look at the cap and fixed it with a pair of pliers. It's amazing to me how some folks think, or fail to think, that is. Maybe I have been blessed with a mechanical mind.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X