Freeze plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackb View Post
    just a FYI....when I blew out the rearmost expansion plug in my 53' flathead, the high temps ruined the Bourbon tube inner gas.... no more temp gage. I doubt the later screw-in type can get damaged, or at least never heard of one going bad...
    I got a laugh out of this one as I like bourbon. Perhaps you are thinking of a Bowden tube. A Bowden cable is like a hood release cable, so I am not sure that Bowden is the correct name for this tube ,but it is not bourbon. Perhaps bourdon tube. Now, that makes sense in that you just got a b instead of a d.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Dave, my machinist says to use red threadlocker to install freeze plugs. Never use silicone sealer. I have also used #2 Permatex and not had one fall out (yet) And the diameters of the new Chinese (like most other stuff they make) isn't quite right. They are loose-ish so I've had to tweak them just a little to get them to fit halfway snug And a good application of red threadlocker!
      Last edited by Jeffry Cassel; 02-16-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

One thing I learned back in the 70's is that you should install a new thermostat any time the engine has overheated. The wax pellet will almost always be damaged and will usually fail immediately or within days while you're driving down the road.

I just spent 7 weeks in Arizona and a week in California visiting my girlfriend and her sister. Another reason for the trip was to buy a rust free Arizona car, and I bought a near mint 2000 Buick LeSabre. I noticed right away the car had a new radiator, so I suspect the engine overheated, and the owner blamed it on the radiator. Anyway on the 1800 mile drive home a few days ago the temp gauge never got above 109*, so the thermostat was either missing or stuck open. Even when I blocked the front of the radiator completely the temp only went up to 129*, and engines are designed to run most efficiently at about 195*.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I got a laugh out of this one as I like bourbon. Perhaps you are thinking of a Bowden tube. A Bowden cable is like a hood release cable, so I am not sure that Bowden is the correct name for this tube ,but it is not bourbon. Perhaps bourdon tube. Now, that makes sense in that you just got a b instead of a d.
          Yes, it's a Bourdon tube. Unless you fill it with Coca-Cola. Then it's a Bubba Bourdon-and-coke.

Comment

I have both 1 1/2" and 38mm plugs installed on my Avanti that I got from NAPA. They ran out of 1 1/2" so substituted 38mm and we could not detect a difference. I also used red thread sealer. No problems in 4 years now... What I did see on my '63 Lark was the corrosion perforation happened below the level of where a line of crud (sand and oxidized metal) had built up in the plug hole. I tried to very thoroughly clean the block before replacing the plugs.

Comment

Decades ago as I was driving home from college, my temp gage pegged at a conviently located gas station. The nice man put a new thermostat in my 59 Hawk and I was on my way in 20 min at a cost of $3. Several months later the temp gage pegged again--in exactly the same place! Pulled into the station. The guy remembered me and replaced it for free saying 'It shouldn't have done that' Then he showed me his 61 Hawk 4spd he had out back. Strange but true

Comment

Working...
              X