engine stamping number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine stamping number

I picked up a '56 Transtar off of ebay. When it came I saw that it had a later full flow V8. Of course I assumed it was '63 or '64 Lark V8. I was expecting the engine stamping to be in the V999999 format. But it was VK353. Is that a kosher engine #?

At some point, they started stamping the engines with a code that represented the day the engine was built. Someone else will chime in with the decoded code.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by HawkBuilder View Post
      I picked up a '56 Transtar off of ebay. When it came I saw that it had a later full flow V8. Of course I assumed it was '63 or '64 Lark V8. I was expecting the engine stamping to be in the V999999 format. But it was VK353. Is that a kosher engine #?
      Yes, Jim; it's a "good" engine number for a 1964 model year passenger car (Lark or Hawk) engine.

Engine identifiers were changed for 1964. No longer did each engine have a unique Serial Number of its own. Rather, the stamping became a date code to indicate when the engine was manufactured. Other engines built the same day with the same displacement will have the same number.

Your VK353 engine date code stamping may be decoded thus:

V = 259 cubic inch displacement
      K = Month of Manufacture (K = September)
      3 = Calendar Year of Manufacture (1963)
      53 = Day of the month (September) it was manufactured.

Now, since September 1963 didn't have 53 days in it, take a closer look at that "5" digit. It must be something else. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkBuilder View Post
        I But it was VK353.
        Most probably began life as a '64 Lark 259".

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I was a little kid in September of 63 and I remember an episode of the Twilight Zone where September DID have 53 days. In that same episode Marilyn Monroe was still alive and Eisenhower had a full head of hair. Or maybe it was an episode of Mr. Ed...

Comment

Working...
          X