Fuel Sender Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel Sender Leak

In preparation for storing away my 62 GT I filled the gas tank right to the brim. The next morning I found a small leak and found that gas was seeping from the sender. I recently installed a new sender so I knew the gasket was fresh. I tightened the screws but still had one that was seeping ever so slightly. I tightened it a bit more and it seems OK but I was wondering if wrapping the screws in Teflon tape would be advisable or not? Would there be another sealant I could apply to the threads to reduce the chance of a leak over the winter?

It should be noted that a 187763 Washer, special was used one each on the 5 screws to the tank. This should be a copper washer to seal under the screw head.

Comment

In addition to making sure you have the copper washers, I'd give the threads a dab of Permatex #2 Aviation sealer, non-hardening.

Comment

Yea, and don't tighten the fasteners TOO tight. They don't need THAT much torque to seal properly.
        When the cork seal on my 59 Lark started leaking, I bought the dark grey gasket material from a parts store (most everyone carries it), and made my own. That stuff is nice material.
        I've used it for intake , exhaust gaskets, fuel sender gasket, carburetor and water pump (brand x) (and water manifold) gaskets. I keep a sheet around till it starts to get hard, then toss it for fresh material.

Mike

Comment

FYI, old Beetle gas sender gaskets (if you can still find them!) will also work; right size & number of screw holes.

Comment

Thanks everyone. There are no copper washers so those must have misplaced at some point in the past. That would explain the seepage I would think. I'll get a set of those and the permatex sealer. The gasket was new last summer so I think it is ok.

Comment

Right. The copper washers are absolutely necessary. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
              X