Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with these ebay bake lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Anyone have experience with these ebay bake lines?

Has anyone tried these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-line-...4:pf:0&vxp=mtr
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

No!! But I'll add a few comments.

First, the kits appear to be more generic that aimed at a specific year and model so the installation would need a few extra bends to take up length and there would be a few extra unions. Not a deal killer.

On the plus side the dealers has a large number of positive feedback on his kits with no negatives, so a good sign.

What you would get is steel lines with the fittings in place at a price difficult to match locally so that's good.

If you are comfortable flaring lines then I'd suggest you look at something like this and then you could custom build a system for the car with minimum fittings and bends. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMZ5FV2..._t2_B00651OAVS

But if you just want a system that needs no fabrication, it's pretty hard to go wrong with $60 and a couple of days of installation. Just be sure you have a good set of line wrenches to tighten the fittings properly.

Personally I'd go with the CU/NI Amazon system but I'm comfortable with flaring and building my own but I wouldn't say don't try this system if you have limited fabrication and tool access.

Bob

Comment

I agree with Bob, and the CU/NI will also give you brake lines that don't rust and have no extra connections.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Just be sure you have a good set of line wrenches to tighten the fittings properly.
        I would also suggest a small tubing bender if you want to avoid kinking the tube; though the Cu/Ni tubing seems a little more forgiving than the old steel tubing.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I used tubing benders, homemade benders, and even V-belt pulleys to put the correct radius bends in my vacuum and fuel lines.
          I used the V-belt pulley to make the large radius bend in the vacuum line by the carb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1724103

Comment

I purchased them a few years ago , I remember a few being too long. So I cut them and and re double flared them , Ed

Comment

Thanks, I want to replace the lines of unknown age on the 55 but don't want to risk my life on my ability to learn to make a proper flange.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                I used tubing benders, homemade benders, and even V-belt pulleys to put the correct radius bends in my vacuum and fuel lines.
                I used the V-belt pulley to make the large radius bend in the vacuum line by the carb.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76498[/ATTACH]
                Nice bend, Tom; that's a good idea.

Question: Is your fuel filter installed backwards? On those plastic-canister filters with one metal end, every one I've ever seen has the metal end as the input end and the plastic end as the output end.

There ought to be an arrow or something indicating fuel flow direction somewhere on that filter. If not, I really think it should be turned around so the metal end is receiving the gasoline from the frame fuel line / flex hose.

Best. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

No, the filter is correct where the inlet sends the gas to the outside, so all the clean gas is taken from inside the filter material. This way you can see when it's getting dirty also.
                  The stock fuel pump works so well on my Land Cruiser that next year I'll probably remove the electric pump and filter on this and install my rebuilt original mechanical pump.
                  I'll carry this in the trunk then just as an emergency backup.

Comment

I purchased a set for the '50 Business Coupe I am working on. Several sections were cut longer than necessary. I sent the company a detailed list of the correct lengths and by return mail they supplied tubing in the correct lengths. Good customer service.
                    Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Some fit, some don't. You get what you pay for,

Comment

Does the Steel Brake tubing from ebay rust over time? And does the kit comes w/ correctly bend two (2) tube fittings for the Hill Holder, that is a close fit generally. I am working on a '50 Champion. Thank you, JuanTomas

Comment

Nothing for hill holder,my 49 Champion has some short pieces on left front to right that will have to be made. Got that far and put the stuff away till I get tools for fabing.

Comment

Check out https://www.inlinetube.com/.
                            They don't have much in the way of Studebaker listed, but, they do carry them. Also available in stainless, with perfect flares. Stainless will seal, if the flares are good. There are aluminum conical seat flare gaskets available from Grainger, if your flares end up leaking. It is a permanent solution.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              Check out https://www.inlinetube.com/.
                              They don't have much in the way of Studebaker listed, but, they do carry them. Also available in stainless, with perfect flares. Stainless will seal, if the flares are good. There are aluminum conical seat flare gaskets available from Grainger, if your flares end up leaking. It is a permanent solution.
                              Brad, the aluminum conical seat flares sound interesting, how are the listed at Grainger, if you recall?
                              Thanks
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X