Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'53-'54 C/K Hood nose replacement (can I used Sedan)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: '53-'54 C/K Hood nose replacement (can I used Sedan)?

I need to replace just the nose part of the hood with the latch. Would a sedan match up? I know the curvature is different, but is the width and most everything else different? Anyone have donar parts I can weld in?
    Attached Files

It is not just the curvature that is different. The shape and length of the nose is very different.

I suggest repairing/rebuilding it. '53-'54 C/K hoods are hard/expensive to come by.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've got a friends coupe here that I'm working on & I've messured his hood & my sedans hood & they're also different wide, it's all different.
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

best to take a piece of tin and build it. If you are not up to it find someone that can.

Comment

Yeah, that is what I thought. I had a sedan hood last year and I remember it being very different. I still need the hood lock/latch if anyone has one.

Comment

There's a guy on the Model A site that goes by "FLOP", and he can work wonders shaping metal and replacing rusted body parts with new steel. Try a Google search for "Model A FLOP" and hopefully he will turn up. I think he might even live somewhat close to you.

Here's one link to some of FLOP's work. He's in the Philadelphia area. Watching his work might even help you do your own repairs.

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...ration-by-flop
            Last edited by TWChamp; 10-19-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Flop has had a Scooter fender of mine for 5 years and has not returned my calls.

Comment

An other solution : fiberglass

http://www.classglassperformance.com...tudebaker.html
                GT Hawk 62 V8
                Lark 62 hardtop skytop 6 cyl
                Silver Hawk 57 Hardtop 6 cyl
                Transtar 57 V8
                Starliner 54 V8

Comment

Ouch that is crusty!

I assume your hinge areas are OK as if those are kinked too that is even more work. That brings up the possibility someone has a hood that is kinked up beyond repair that could be used to fix yours. I've seen some pretty bad ones with cracks/tears.

If you are comfortable welding in a section from another hood, I think you can make and fit your own patches here. Either side of the center rib is pretty flat. On my car I patched a couple of holes in the same nose area and used a modest amount of filler. Fortunately, no severe rot on the ends and the reinforcement "pipe" like you have though.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by AllstonEP View Post
                    I need to replace just the nose part of the hood with the latch. Would a sedan match up? I know the curvature is different, but is the width and most everything else different? Anyone have donar parts I can weld in?
                    I have two hoods for sale right now at the Reedsville, Pa show. Both are unrusted with straight corners. One is $300 and the other is $400.
                    ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Originally posted by ed ellis View Post
                      I have two hoods for sale right now at the Reedsville, Pa show. Both are unrusted with straight corners. One is $300 and the other is $400.
                      There were quite a number of nice '53-'54 C/K hoods at Reedsville; as well as the full fiberglass hood being made by Class Glass and Performance.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                      X