Avanti Gas Caps, R1&2.....R3&4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Avanti Gas Caps, R1&2.....R3&4

I was never aware that there were any differences with Avanti gas caps, beside the AC3335 locking variety.

But 1558091 is called out for the R1&2, and 1563219 is called out for the R3&4.

Anyone have a reason for this???

The red Premium Fuel Warning Decal was on the Cap of R1 & R2.

Would the R3 & 4 say: "Chevron Custom Supreme", White pump 103 Octane Fuel ONLY? For the West Coast.

On the East Coast, there would have also been an Oil Co. that sold higher than Premium Fuel, someone will remember them, the one that still does NASCAR Race Tracks.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	R1 cap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1724079Click image for larger version

Name:	gas cap R4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1724080R1 R2 label says use premium gas only, R3, R4 reads SUPER PREMIUM GAS ONLY. No mention of ANY BRANDS!
      Last edited by bezhawk; 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Back in the mid 60's I only utilized two different grades of gasoline....Sunoco 260 (which was at least 98 leaded RM/2 octaine), and AMOCO unleaded premium gasoline. When I wrote to the research dept at AMOCO and asked how their high test could be lead free, they simply said that instead of TEL, they utilized "aromatics".
        Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]76436[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76437[/ATTACH]R1 R2 label says premium fuel only, R3, R4 reads SUPER PREMIUM FUEL ONLY. No mention of ANY BRANDS!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
          Back in the mid 60's I only utilized two different grades of gasoline....Sunoco 260 (which was at least 98 leaded RM/2 octaine), and AMOCO unleaded premium gasoline. When I wrote to the research dept at AMOCO and asked how their high test could be lead free, they simply said that instead of TEL, they utilized "aromatics".
          The aromatics were probably benzene and toluene, both of which have very high octane numbers. Benzene is a potent carcinogen, and is being phased out as a fuel component in both North America and Europe. I think the current standard is less than 1% benzene. Benzene also has a strong, sweet aroma and is a major contributor to the gasoline smell we all know so well.
          Last edited by Skip Lackie; 10-19-2018, 01:39 PM.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip I am laughing.....I thought I was the only "freak" that loved the smell of gasoline:-) I remember my father utilizing benzene as a cleaning solvent when he would paint our house back in the 50's.......he also utilized turpentine on occasion.
            Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            The aromatics were probably benzene and toluene, both of which have very high octane numbers. Benzene is a potent carcinogen, and is being phased out as a fuel component in both North America and Europe. I think the current standard is less than 1% benzene. Benzene also has a strong, sweet aroma is a major contributor to the gasoline smell we all know so well.

Comment

Working...
            X