Does a '60 Lark V8 come with a Dana 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Does a '60 Lark V8 come with a Dana 44

I'm working on a friend's '60 Lark V8 convertible. I decided to see what the rear end ratio was and I was surprised to find a Dana 27 rear axle (the ratio is 3.54). Was a Dana 27 standard with an option to upgrade to a Dana 44? Thanks.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

simple answer = yes

Comment

For 1960 Lark models, a type 44 rear end was standard only in V-8 station wagons.

Comment

I have the same car with the same gear ratio the 259 only got the 27.

Comment

As noted, both my 59 and 60 V-8 wagons had the 44 series axle assembly. The 59, with a posi unit in it.
          Don't know about the rest of the lineup.

Mike

Comment

My 1962 Lark 4 door with V8 Overdrive has a 27. I asked about updating to a 44 and the replies I got here on the forum is the length of the housing is different and you would need to use a different drive shaft. Hope this helps.

Howard, are you going to the zone meet in Palm Springs? I will be there and hope to see you again

Bob Miles

Comment

AFAIK, in these years, with the station wagon perhaps the exception, the 259 got the 27 and 289 got the 44.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks everyone. Since it is a convertible (which began life as a 6 cylinder) I was suspicious, now I know the 27 is correct.
                Yes, Bob, I'll see you in Palm Springs. Everyone else in the area is also invited!!
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Working...
                X