Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

unsticking tuner slugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: unsticking tuner slugs?

What's a good, careful way to unstick tuner slugs in a '51 Philco car radio?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

CRC Contact cleaner?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Be very very careful when messing with those slugs as they are not metal but ferrite and are fragile. I've been restoring those radios for many years and haven't come across one that had stuck slugs. Usually it's the tuning mechanism that is stuck and depending on which model you have will depend on how you repair it. Usually something like WD 40 or something like it will free everything up and you can put a drop or two on the slugs themselves, just be careful not to use too much as that stuff can cause tuning problems. Also those slugs are held in with some sort of glue which can be easily broken which will cause you a bunch of grief when trying to repair them as they are part of the RF section of the radio and their settings are very important to the proper operation of the radio. Bud

Comment

What Bud said. Be careful not to soften the tubes that the slugs slide into and out of.

Plus, what makes you think the slugs are stuck? That's pretty rare. It's MUCH more common for the clutch to slip.

Do the push buttons work?

Is the manual tuning knob slipping? The clutch could be slipping because of hardened rubber surfaces.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The disk that the tuner clutch rubs against only moves a couple of degrees. I sprayed Electrowash on the tuner and letting it soak.
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

I agree with Roy, the clutch surfaces on the push button radios is a big problem and the vast majority of radios that I've serviced have had problems with them. They are repairable, but you will have to disassemble the tuning mechanism to get to them. If you aren't familiar with doing that kind of job, then I would recommend letting someone that is familiar with those clutches do the repairs. Bud

Comment

Hmmm... unsticking Tuner Slugs? I thought you meant some Tuner Car Stuck somewhere!

I just HAD to open this, to figure that one out!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Do the push buttons work? Do they move the dial? If so, then the slugs are not stuck.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Maybe it doesn't have push buttons. I had a hard time finding a push button radio for my 61 Lark and that didn't work. I'd be careful what you spray on the clutch. I used to use a solution sold to clean idler wheels on phonographs but don't know if it is available anymore.

Comment

The 1951 Studebaker Philco radios came with either manual tuning or push buttons which was the deluxe radio and most prone to tuner problems due to the clutch and push button assembly. The manual tune models used a string to move the dial pointer which can break, but not stop the tuner from working. GC chemicals still makes a product they call Belt and Drive Non Slip which will save some clutches but can also glue them together if you're not careful when using it. Bud

Comment

It actually turned out that the needle was stuck against the black backing plate. Now I can move it. The clutch really slips and the tuner bogs down near the ends of the dial, especially the left. It's a button radio.

Comment

Everything in the tuning mechanism should be cleaned and lubed with something light. I've used TriFlow teflon lube with good results. In many cases, once the tuning mechanism is freed up, the clutch will stop slipping. If the slippage is minor after everything is lubed, then you can try the GC chemicals belt and drive non slip on the clutch faces if there is clutch material intact. If not, then you will have to remove and partially disassemble the tuning mechanism to get at the clutch assembly for repair. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Hmmm... unsticking Tuner Slugs? I thought you meant some Tuner Car Stuck somewhere!

I just HAD to open this, to figure that one out!
                          I thought something similar! I was gonna say maybe salt will get them slugs!
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                          X