Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (S)
    replied
    Right sides also break in a stick shift car on hard downshifts, and in automatics if you like to 'chirp' Low alot.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by chet445 View Post
    Back to Leaf springs...I'm to understand the forward part of the left leaf spring is to mount in the lower hole and the right side in the upper hole on my '62 Hawk correct? I wish I had known when I replaced the leaf springs; I put the bolts in where they came out thinking that was proper. Comments?
    The front of the leaf spring should be bolted through the LOWER hole on the side the DRIVER sits on. Upper hole on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• chet445
    replied
    Back to Leaf springs...I'm to understand the forward part of the left leaf spring is to mount in the lower hole and the right side in the upper hole on my '62 Hawk correct? I wish I had known when I replaced the leaf springs; I put the bolts in where they came out thinking that was proper. Comments?

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    The right side would break if you were hard on the go pedal in reverse or perhaps rocking the car out of mud/snow.
    Mine broke while going from dirt onto pavement, and while hard into a left turn.

I've since added two mounts at the rear of the engine (bellhousing flange) and they're all thru bolted urethane now; even if the "insulator"(my mistake, they call the motor mount rubber an "Insulator" not Isolator) goes away nothing can hit the hood now.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    The right side would break if you were hard on the go pedal in reverse or perhaps rocking the car out of mud/snow.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    It does seem strange that the right one would break. I've never had any broken Studebaker mounts, but in the 70's I had to replace several broken mounts on GM cars, and also do the safety cable recalls, where a cable was wrapped around both halves of the mount, so it couldn't lift up and cause sudden acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by gordr View Post
    It's usually the left side front mount that parts in tension. Which is the one on your right hand as you stand leaning over the radiator.
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    LEFT and RIGHT are defined as you are sitting in the front seat, so in the U.S. the left side is the driver's side.
    If you are standing in front of the car looking at the engine, the crankshaft is turning clockwise, so the engine torque is pushing down on the right side.
    The torque is trying to twist the block opposite of the crankshaft rotation.
    Somebody needs to tell that to my GT . I guess it doesn't know the left one is suppopsed to be the one that breaks. My right (passenger) side "isolator"(mount) has broken twice. I have the dent in the hood and mangled fan and shroud to proove it . The left (drivers) side one is 56 years old as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• markwhawk
    replied
    Thanks just wanted to make sure I installed them right.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    LEFT and RIGHT are defined as you are sitting in the front seat, so in the U.S. the left side is the driver's side.
    If you are standing in front of the car looking at the engine, the crankshaft is turning clockwise, so the engine torque is pushing down on the right side.
    The torque is trying to twist the block opposite of the crankshaft rotation.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    It's usually the left side front mount that parts in tension. Which is the one on your right hand as you stand leaning over the radiator.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    If the engine torques down to the right on acceleration, why does the air cleaner stud hit the hood when the right side engine mount "isolator" breaks under accelleration? Why is the right side isolator the one that breaks? Shouldn't it be in compression?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That is Correct.

This compensates for the excess Weight on the Left: Battery, Steering Gear, offset Fuel Tank and Driver.

It also helps with the Right side Torquing Down on acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Drivers side lower hole, passenger side upper hole.

Leave a comment:

• john Mitchell
    replied
    Originally posted by markwhawk View Post
    1960 Lark v8 conv. leaf spring front frame mount upper or lower holes? I looked at an Avanti one was upper and one was lower. Thanks Mark
    Same as the Avanti,one upper and one lower. Just did it on a 60 wagon.

Leave a comment:

• markwhawk
    started a topic Frame / Springs: 60 lark leaf springs

60 lark leaf springs

1960 Lark v8 conv. leaf spring front frame mount upper or lower holes? I looked at an Avanti one was upper and one was lower. Thanks Mark
Working...
X