Running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Running rich

My 63 Lark 289 has a Holley 9834-2 carb on it and it seems to be running very rich. I just pulled a plug and it's sooty black.

Do I have to buy a jet kit or is there any adjustments I can make to lean it out a little?

When I first start the car, even after a couple of weeks, it fires first time and idles OK but as soon as I drive away it splutters until it revs out a little. Then it dies at stop lights and junctions. Strange thing is, if I stop, leave it for an hour or so then go back and take it for a run it seems much better. It always has a flat spot just off idle though. This is one weird car......
    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Number ONE Problem... A HOLLEY!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yeah someone else sid that to me today. I thought they were the carb every V8 owner wanted, seems they're not as well loved as I thought.

I'm told my Holley is a 600 and I would be better off with an Edelbrock 500. Does that sound feasible?
      The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by LarkingAround View Post
        Yeah someone else sid that to me today. I thought they were the carb every V8 owner wanted, seems they're not as well loved as I thought.

I'm told my Holley is a 600 and I would be better off with an Edelbrock 500. Does that sound feasible?
        Yes, absolutely CORRECT!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Not a Holley fan either, but if it's relatively new, you probably can make it run right, if you spend enough time on it. Job #1 is to check your ignition. If it still has points in it, make sure the dwell is correct, and that both centrifugal and vacuum advance are on spec. If the ignition system is out of whack, no amount of fiddling with the carb will make the carb run right. Next, check the choke mechanism. Manual or automatic? In either case, does it open fully? Then check the carb floats.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Could it be as simple as a ruptured power valve diaphram? Luck Doofus

Comment

Would the Edelbrock be a bolt on item or will I have to buy a new inlet manifold / adapter? Sorry if I sound daft but this is my first dabble with American cars and I have little knowledge of interchangeable parts.

Comment

Why is everyone GUESSING what is best for a particular engine? Do yourself a favor and buy a wideband Oxygen sensor and gauge. It is the ONLY way for sure to know what is going on in the combustion process. In the years past it was possible to read the plugs and kind of get close. You can't do that with the formulations of fuel currently being sold. ANY carburetor will work if you dial in the A/F ratio for that particular engine. In other words the engine doesn't care what brand is on it as long as it is calibrated for its needs.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  Why is everyone GUESSING what is best for a particular engine? Do yourself a favor and buy a wideband Oxygen sensor and gauge. It is the ONLY way for sure to know what is going on in the combustion process. In the years past it was possible to read the plugs and kind of get close. You can't do that with the formulations of fuel currently being sold. ANY carburetor will work if you dial in the A/F ratio for that particular engine. In other words the engine doesn't care what brand is on it as long as it is calibrated for its needs.
                  Thanks bezhawk. I inquired about the Wideband kit over the weekend and I'm buying it. For around £150GBP it will save me a lot of time and messing around trying to get the thing running right. I may even buy the Pertronix kit but here in the UK, those things are pennies for British cars. The last one I bought was about twenty quid. Why are the Pertronix so expensive at around $100USD? Are they different somehow to the Accuspark we have here???

Comment

Agree! Could easily spend much more than the cost of an Edelbrock trying to make a Holley work and it will still be a troublesome Holley. I thought Pertronix was very reasonably priced.

Comment

Working...
                    X