Problem with 259 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Sounds like you have a severe vacuum leak. Probably the carb./manifold gasket.
    That's where mine was. Same symptoms.
    Update. Massive vaccum leak underneath intake passanger side rear ports. Stuck an adaptor with a good 2bbl. on it and it ran well enough to find this problem. Had to do so work on the surface of the intake, but it corrected that problem. Also, used copper sealer on new intake gaskets. No more vaccum problem. Put the rebuilt WCFB back on and the engine cranked, ran for a few seconds and quit?????? Arghgggggggggggggg!!!

I'm now convinced that it is an internal problem with the carburetor, some where in the front (low speed) section. Tomorrow is another day........
    Bo

Comment

When you get a chance to open up the WCFB, check that the Primary Jets are not crossed with the Secondary Jets.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, it looks like you found one of at least two problems. If that vacuum leak is truly fixed, then you are more likely to have success with the carburetor since it can now be the main area of your focus. Good luck.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Problem finally solved. PO had at some point changed out the metering rods and primary jets, replacing the OEM with some very large ones. One of the problems with this was that the primary and secondary jets were virtually the same size and I didn't notice this, so I put the slightly smaller ones back in the primary position. This created a really lean unadjustable configuration for the carburetor. Reversed these and the car ran fine with air/fuel adjustment, except that now it would spit back through the front half of the carburetor under aggressive throttle advancement. Apparently, according to my good friend Dave Thibeault, this metering rod/primary jet conversion would have worked on a high mileage engine (which it did), but would not on a freshly rebuilt engine. He was right. Replaced these with OEM std. metering rods and jets and whallaaaaaa!!! Carburetor adjusted out nicely and car runs like a new one.

Dave's a great guy, and we thank him for the assistance and the knowledge he shared with us about this carburetor problem.
          Bo

Comment

Good call Dad!

Comment

Working...
            X