Fresh ground crank with marking on the rod bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Fresh ground crank with marking on the rod bearings

Good day. My crankshaft has be reground and I installed it in the block with the pistons and new bearings (mains and rods). After putting all the pistons in, I noticed that I had not put them in the correct locations as they are stamped. Therefore, I took them out to move them. When I did this, I noted there were marks on the bearing surfaces roughly coinciding with the oil hole in the crank. In one or two cases, the marking has dimension to it. i suspect I should scrap these and put in undamaged rod bearings. I am wondering if I should in some way polish around the oil hole. I saw a segment on You Tube by Pete's Garage where he discussed a relief grind around the oil hole. Perhaps I could accomplish this with sand paper and a rod?

You might want to consider putting it into the hands of an experienced engine builder.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It sounds to me like whoever ground the crank didn't bother to de burr the oil holes after grinding. Any time I've had a crankshaft ground, the oil holes are de burred and then the journals are polished which makes a smooth surface for the bearings to ride on. Bud

Comment

Transfer markings on the bearings are not the same as damage. There should be no way you could damage rod bearings by installing and immediately moving them to another position. Maybe overthinking things here?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Do you have a set of micrometers? I would be checking to make CERTAIN the bearings are the correct size for your freshly ground crank. If you don't have micrometers, at least go buy some plastigauge and check the clearance on one (without rotating at all) and see what you get. They could be too tight. This is one of those things that is really hard to diagnose on the internet.

Comment

Working...
          X