Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

63Hawk-loud,pulsating, power steering noise-what??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63Hawk-loud,pulsating, power steering noise-what??

When the car is first started, and the steering wheel is moved, a very loud pulsating noise is heard.
    The pump output hose is seen to vibrate at the rate of the very scary noise. It goes away
    after a few turns of the wheel and the car drives with out any steering problems after
    the initial bursts of noise, however, when the wheel is turned near to the stops, the noise will occur. This when turning around in a driveway. The reservoir is full with Dexron lll ATF.

Questions are: What is causing this condition and what remedial actions ?

Thanks for the help.

...Dick Curtis
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

I don't really know the answer to this one, but what comes to mind is a loose press. hose drawing in air, or some other inlet for air. Usually air in the system does cause a lot of noise and pulsation.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

on a car of this age, flushing the P/S fluid is almost never a bad idea anyway.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I would check for belt tension first. A little slipping causes the pulsation of the pump.

Comment

I wonder if your hoses are routed incorrectly causing a high spot that is trapping air.

Comment

I've fixed that very issue with a good flush. Remove the return hose from the pump, stick it in a bucket, and keep adding fresh fluid as you cycle the steering with the engine running.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Lark 2 door
            57 wagon
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've fixed that very issue with a good flush. Remove the return hose from the pump, stick it in a bucket, and keep adding fresh fluid as you cycle the steering with the engine running.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Lark 2 door
              57 wagon
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thank you all for the help. The PO had the PS overhauled at a restoration shop about 6 years and 3500 miles ago. I will check the belt tension and do a system flush. I kinda thought
                it was air trapped because it reminded me of "hammering" in house water pipes from trapped air.
                Any precautions to take for the flush other than keeping hands and bucket away from the fan ?

Dexron lll ATF still the best to use ??

Thanks Again,

....Dick Curtis
                The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

I had a pulsating in the power steering on my 64 Hawk with belt squeal. New belt fixed problem.

Comment

Check in the bottom of the reservoir for a filter element. Some of those units had filters and also a spring under the lid to keep the filter held tight against the bottom. If there's one there, I'll bet it's stopped up. Remove it, flush the system as JDP said, and leave the filter out. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

yeah, don't flush on a surface that you want to keep clean, unless it is sealed or painted. other than that just do it.

good luck,

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                      X