Swap '63 OHV 6 into a '61 Champ with original engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Swap '63 OHV 6 into a '61 Champ with original engine

l don't foresee problems (OHV 6 for an OHV 6) BUT thot l should throw this on the forum just in case.

ALSO, the bigger problem may be that the Champ now has an O/D transmission which l want to retain, but the donor engine is from an automatic. What problems am l about to encounter?

Thanks.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

If they are like the V8s, you'll need to replace the crank bolts. The shorter bolts are for the automatic while longer bolts are needed for a standard shift flywheel.
    Also, the engine and bell housing need to be "dial indicated", so they marry up to each other. Not doing so could result in severe wear on the trans bearings.
    Other than those items, I can't think of anything that would create a major headache.
    sals54

Comment

The GOOD NEWS is: the Truck should already be set up for the special Throttle Linkage with Kickdown Switch and wiring, so the Dial-in maybe the only issue.

Check the Truck Parts Catalog for Auto. to Std. Trans. differences, since many Sixes use "Screw-in" Crankshaft to Flywheel or Converter Flex Plate "Screws" the Crank Bolts may be EASY!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is the new engine from a car ? Because if it is you may have to remove the crankshaft and have the end of the crank bored for a larger pilot bushing , Also the bolts that hold the fly wheel are different . Ask me how I know

Comment

Thanks! This is the sort of stuff l need to know.

Yes, the '63 engine to be swapped in is from an automatic car, and the tranny is available too.

l'm thinkin' a swap of engine AND tranny would be lots more work, like needing another steering column, a change in rear end gearing (now 4.27:1), missing linkages, mounts, etc. The engine-only swap would be the better route, l'm sure, even with drilling the crank for a different pilot bearing, and using the old longer flywheel bolts.
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

You are going in the right direction, IMO.
            The overdrive is a much better all around driving choice than an automatic, especially in a truck.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

If the crankshaft in your original engine is still good, just swap it into the car engine. Also like the others have said, make sure to dial indicate the new bell housing combination.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
              X