Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

12 volt replacement Climatizer motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 12 volt replacement Climatizer motor

Most of the original components in my 2R pickup are still 6 volts even though it was converted to 12 volts. The truck had one of those big ceramic voltage drops under the hood to run the 6 volt items. I would like to convert everything to 12 volts and need a 12 volt motor for the type A climatizer. Has anyone found a good replacement?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

4 Seasons 35504. Used 2 of these on my 41 commander one for the def & one for the under the seat heater. Had to drill out fans. 5/16 I think. Been a while. Worked well for me. jww

Comment

I wondered about drilling out the fan. The motors I found all seemed to have 5/16" shafts instead of the original 1/4". Thanks.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Drill them out with a drill press, not a hand drill. After hand drilling mine, I had to ask a machinist friend to fix my terribly crooked hole.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Drill them out with a drill press, not a hand drill. After hand drilling mine, I had to ask a machinist friend to fix my terribly crooked hole.
          That was a concern. I do have a drill press available. Thanks.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

On my 53' R, I went through the NAPA on-line parts listings and found at least 2 that would fit: a Chinese cheapie, and a more costlier one. I went cheap and had whirling noises in the second season. It still works. Watch the rotation of the various motors too. Some go one way or the other, then some go both CW/CCW.....

Comment

The 55 (6v) and 56 (12v) truck heaters were essentially identical, with the only differences being the fan motor and fan itself and the switch (which would work on 12v). The 12v motor and fan is part number 1685816 -- one of our vendors may have one.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                The 55 (6v) and 56 (12v) truck heaters were essentially identical, with the only differences being the fan motor and fan itself and the switch (which would work on 12v). The 12v motor and fan is part number 1685816 -- one of our vendors may have one.
                Good to know. I wondered about the later 12 volt versions. I like to change as little as possible for simplicity.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

sorry for the late reply as i am just now rebuilding my climatizer . Here is a link to the motor i am using , it is Napa #937166 , it is 12 volt and has a 1/4" shaft

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM937166

Comment

Mine from NAPA only has 1-2 wires (?). Maybe that is a generic pic....

Comment

Hi Jack
                      The picture on the link is the motor i have. The first one i got from Napa had the 5/16" shaft , I didn't realize it until i got it home ( seems to always be the story ,so i had to have one ordered with a 1/4" shaft as they did not have it in stock , ( took the counter guy and myself a little while of looking through the parts catalogues to find one, but i got one that could be hooked up CW or CCW and is a 2 speed motor.
                      The only thing i had to do was cut the through bolts on the shaft side a little shorter , the other end of the bolts fit in the end plate of the climatizer and they fit perfectly.

Comment

so.... just for giggles.... how do you connect the 4 wires (where)? skip this...
                        Last edited by jackb; 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I show having 2 of the 1685816 NOS 12 volt heater motors in stock. $75 each plus shipping. PM me if interested.
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

For the 1956 Transtar with the Type "C" Blower mounted on the Fender, this 1685816 Motor is a direct fit. For any of the "other" many types of Climatizers, not so much.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                            X