Water pump interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water pump interchange

Has anyone tried to fit a big block Chrysler water pump to a Stude V8? I saw a real nice Chrysler pump at an Edelbrock booth at a car show and it looked like pretty darn identical to the Stude pump but I didn't have measuring tools with me to get specs to be sure.

Remember that the impeller to water manifold relationship/spacing/shape is critical to how well the pump actually pumps.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I looked into various "other" pumps modifying the Stude pump, aftermarket impellers a few years back...while the Stude pump is old, and not so pretty...
      With the design if the interior of the Stude water manifold, it's either build a better impeller (can do and possible), or just do as Roy said above, just make sure your current pump is installed correctly, that is, a minimum clearance (about .005" to .010") between the manifolds interior surface and the impeller.

This can be done with thicker or thinner gaskets...OR, possibly using a puller to pull the impeller back a little to minimize that interior gap.

This gap, the bigger it is, the bigger the interior "leak" there is, and the less effective the pump is at pushing water.

Also, for what it's worth, "antifreeze" does NOT help the "cooling" action. You live in California, so you don't need a lot of antifreeze. Give a 25% antifreeze-75% "clean" water a try Just enough antifreeze to lubricate the water pump seals and help prevent corrosion (rust). I've used this mixture for MANY years on many different cars. I've had no overheating engines unless there was another problem (like bad thermostat).

Mike

P.s. - Make sure the water manifold interior is clean and has no rust buildup where the water pump impeller is near the manifold to help water flow.

Comment

Decades ago used a mopar big block water pump in a pinch. it worked but had to redrill some holes, also engine would heat up in extended idle situations. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
          Decades ago used a mopar big block water pump in a pinch. it worked but had to redrill some holes, also engine would heat up in extended idle situations. Luck Doofus
          Thanks, I thought it looked awfully close to fitting.

I don't have and have never had any problem with over heating. The only problem I've had with the Stude pump is bearings, and too much end play. They just don't last as long as they should, could be because they're 40-60 year old NOS, I have a crate of them (that won't last long). It's just a pain to change water pumps every year or so and an alternative would be nice. Plus they make high flow Chrysler pumps and you can get 3-5 Chrysler pumps (depending on maker) for the cost of a Stude pump.

Comment

Working...
          X