Manual 4-speed Transmission Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Manual 4-speed Transmission Oil

Either in Discussion or Tech Talk there was mention of using Valvoline 75W90 synthetic gear oil for the transmission and differential. I had a lot of trouble finding the gears in my 4-speed so I took the advice. I drained the transmission and filled with the new oil. Within a couple days driving sure enough it is far easier shifting; the gears are there when I shift...no difficulty. I'm going to replace the oil in the differential also. Differential Valvoline is GL-4, GL-5; transmission is GL-5, MT-1. Both take 2 1/2 pints according to the book. Try it and you might find a difference; I sure did! chet445

But, what about warnings to only use GL-1, which by the way, I still haven't found any.

Comment

NAPA has it
      sigpic
      Claude Chmielewski
      Studeski
      http://www.studeski.com
      Fillmore, Wisconsin
      47 M-16 Truck
      53 Commander Regal HT
      53 2R5
      60 Lark VIII Convertible
      60 5E7 Champ pickup
      62 5E7 Champ no box
      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
      63 Lark VI parts car
      63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
      64 Commander Wagonaire
      64 Daytona Convertible
      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
      36 Dictator
      36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

I'm not aware of any warnings but the info I have given is from a person who rebuilt transmissions and had been using the oil in his Studebaker for a number of years. Unfortunately I can't find the post and it was within the last month. He was specific to the oil to use.

Comment

Thanks for the NAPA lead. I just called the Anoka NAPA, and he didn't have it on hand but can get it in 3 hours. It's $17.99 for a gallon.

Comment

I have been using Red Line in my Avanti for years, shifts smooth as silk.

Comment

I've been using Synthetic SAE 50 manual truck transmission oil in T10 in my 62 Hawk because I had it on the shelf and I'm very happy with the results. Before that I used Amsoil 75W-90 manual transmission oil which worked really well, but I can get the truck transmission oil cheaper than the Amsoil so I'll use that. It's my opinion that the SAE 90 GL1 gear oil was good for its time, but time marches on and so does the technology in lubricants. Bud

Comment

Working...
              X