No announcement yet.

4 Speed Trans mount question. Duh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 4 Speed Trans mount question. Duh.

Hello ya'll.
    I've got a question about the 4 speed trans mount. I still can't find my dang repair manual. But I'm not sure it's even covered in there.
    I noticed that the trans mount has holes for the trans and studs for the cross member. But they are offset. I can't remember which way they are to be mounted. I want to make sure I've got the dang thing in right the first time.
    So..... If I install the mount to the trans, should the studs be forward or rearward of the trans holes???
    The offset is only about a quarter inch. But I can imagine a mile of grief if I don't get this installed correctly the first time.
    Someone throw me a bone.
    sals54

Dang, kids. 86 views and no answer? C'mon. Someone's gotta know this. I'm getting close to install. Maybe I've been lucky every time in the past? I may have to count on it again.
    sals54

Comment

Where the mount metal is cut away goes to the rear. In the pic that is to your right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4SpeedMount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1723537
      sigpic
      Claude Chmielewski
      Studeski
      http://www.studeski.com
      Fillmore, Wisconsin
      47 M-16 Truck
      53 Commander Regal HT
      53 2R5
      60 Lark VIII Convertible
      60 5E7 Champ pickup
      62 5E7 Champ no box
      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
      63 Lark VI parts car
      63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
      64 Commander Wagonaire
      64 Daytona Convertible
      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
      36 Dictator
      36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Thank you soooo much. I could not find a picture of that, which clearly showed it.
        sals54

Comment

And I just realized why your picture was so helpful... the new mount does not have the "cut out" area. Its the same front to rear, which leaves only the offset of the holes to be the determining factor.
          Again. Thank you.
          sals54

Comment

His pic is likely an original ' T 10' mount. The part numbers got superceded through the years so now a T86 & T 10 is the same....

Comment

Sal,

Both the engine and transmission for USA and Continental Europe are offset to the right to allow clearance for the steering box. UK, Australian, New Zealand and other island type imports with righthand drive have the power train offset to the left. The driveshaft likes the transmission output and axle input to be parallel to one another.

Comment

Working...
              X