Best (and easiest!) way to remove doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Best (and easiest!) way to remove doors

What is the best method to crack loose the phillips head door screws (that have been tight for over 50 years) without tearing up the heads?

Impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) and the proper size screwdriver head.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks! I found one at Harbor Freight that looks like it should do the trick.

Comment

Those Impact drivers usually have a 1/2 inch driver and can be coupled to your socket set bars, giving you more leverage, Cheers

Comment

Use a #4 Pozidriv bit, not a Phillips.

Comment

I had to finally drill several of mine out. I replaced all the screws hidden behind the door panels with stainless socket head flat capscrews...and antisieze compound all around.

Comment

Pozidrive bit adapted to your impact wrench. Press in real hard then pull the trigger. Very successful.

Comment

Are You trying to be very gentile with an approach ? or are You digging in with a restoration project ?, if so then using a little heat would get them to cooperate !
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  I had to finally drill several of mine out. I replaced all the screws hidden behind the door panels with stainless socket head flat capscrews...and antisieze compound all around.
                  More likely than not you will run into what most of us have found, as stated above, and need to drill out a few. If they are the bolts that mount into the fenders then drilling them out is a good way to remove them. Nice thing about stripping out the phillips/pozidriv slots are they leave a perfect centered start for the drill. These are important to remove without damage to the threads if possible.

The hinge mounts on the door are a captured 1/4"? plate that can be removed by opening up one side of the capture area. It's not real easy but you don't need to worry as much about saving the threads.

Hope they come out with out much trouble but forewarned is forearmed.

Bob

Comment

This same questions was just up on another post. I will add that I have had the best success by both heating the offending screw red hot, allow to cool (and after cooling I spray on my favorite penetrant "Free All") I fabricated a tool to use in my air chisel that adapts a cut off air chisel shank welded to a 3/8 extension (that allows it to accept a hand impact bit) and with the balance of the extension welded as a "handle" to the air chisel. I believe that a combination of the vibration and heat assist in loosening the fastener. I tried to post a video of the process but evidently it was too large of a format to allow loading.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09218.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1723528Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09219.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1723529The Pozi and the Phillips are not that compatible with each other. The original screws were Phillips and the replacements are Pozi They are both #4 size, however there is no industry standard for the sizes, try to get the largest #4 Phillips you can find. I have at least 3 #4 Phillips drivers and they are all different sizes. The drivers that come with the impact sets are very large and work the best. Impact drivers can work for you and against you. The best is a good fitting new large #4 Phillips with steady direct pressure fitted in to your 1/2 drive bar. Get your belly against it and apply steady hard pressure and keep it square. Do not use a warn or otherwise damaged Phillips, get a new one.

Comment

Working...
                      X