No evidence of oil pressure during priming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: No evidence of oil pressure during priming

I have a rebuilt 289 full flow engine. I have not run it yet. I primed the oil pump with a shaft on a drill motor for about 5 mins. I did not get any oil to come out of the flex line that goes to the gauge and no oil on top of the heads. I put in new pump gears and a new pressure relief valve. I have concerns!! Any thoughts?

Did that 3/8" plug in in the main galley that is down the distributor tower get put back in. These are left out a lot during rebuilds.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

Are you rotating the oil pump shaft the right direction?

Comment

The oil pump, (and distributor) rotate counter-clockwise.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

DUH< (my duh) I believe I was rotating the drill clockwise. Also as for the often left out plug in the back of the motor. I did keep that in mind during re-assembly. I believe there were 2 plugs of the type where you use a hex key to insert them. And maybe one of the small square head plugs. Correct?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09111.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1723492Just remove this small plug at the front of the engine and take out the spark plugs and crank the engine, it should take about 10 seconds for oil to squirt out, then you know your system is charged. Also everything is turning the right way. I did this on my engine and it worked well. As a double check you can mount an oil pressure gage in place of the plug if you wanted to.

Comment

Name:	DSC09112.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1723493It helps to remove the plugs with a SQUARE or 8 POINT socket set. These two sets cost over $400 not cheap. It sure is easy to remove square plugs though. They are Snap-on brand.

Comment

Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
                DUH< (my duh) I believe I was rotating the drill clockwise. Also as for the often left out plug in the back of the motor. I did keep that in mind during re-assembly. I believe there were 2 plugs of the type where you use a hex key to insert them. And maybe one of the small square head plugs. Correct?
                The oil galley plug that Wayne refers to is inside the engine, about on the level of the camshaft, and is one the front side of the vertical tunnel that the distributor goes into. It is normally accessed via a pressed-in metal plug in the back of the block, next to the cam plug. With the distributor out of the engine, you should be able to see it using a mirror and a small flashlight.

But do try running your drill in reverse, first!
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I had no oil pressure on 259 rebuild and discovered the two small plugs referred to by Gordr had been left out. Problem solved.

Comment

Here`s a picture of the hole where the plug goes. This is looking through the distributor hole.

Name:	Studebaker Oil Hole.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1723525

Comment

Working...
                    X