Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disc conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brakes: Disc conversion

    I want to change the old brakes on my Sky Hawk to power discs. Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost? Also, is it necessary to have power brakes or not?
    peter lee

  • #2
    Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    I want to change the old brakes on my Sky Hawk to power discs. Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost? Also, is it necessary to have power brakes or not?
    Here is a source of Stude disc brake conversions . :

    http://turnerbrake.com
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

    Comment


    • #3
      And this...https://hotrodsandbrakes.com/shop?ol...t%2Fstudebaker

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
        I want to change the old brakes on my Sky Hawk to power discs. Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost? Also, is it necessary to have power brakes or not?
        I will ask why. If your brakes are in great shape, they are more than adequate for the limited, careful driving that you do with your Hawk (even on LI).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

        Comment


        • #5
          Good question -

          No it is not a requirement to have power brakes for an easy stopping car.
          One does need to understand or learn a little about the requirements for the piston size in the master cylinder to afford a light pedal without a power booster.
          I either have currently of have owned Studebakers (all brands are equal here), with disc-drum and disc-disc brakes and no power booster.
          My current, disc-disc brake car is a 54 Conestoga that requires a two toe push to get good braking. My new daily driver, when complete, uses a similar combination.

          Mike

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I will ask why. If your brakes are in great shape, they are more than adequate for the limited, careful driving that you do with your Hawk (even on LI).
            I don't know how traffic is in New York, but even after completely replacing the entire brake system with new parts in my Hawk, the stock brakes are marginal for traffic conditions here in California. Maintaining more than two car lengths between you and the car ahead at highway speed is all but impossible here, if there's room to pull in, somebody will. Add to that the need to adjust the stock brakes every few hundred miles just to maintain their meager performance, and swapping to more modern, low maintainence, higher performance brakes is a necessity.

            Comment


            • #7
              Minneapolis traffic drives the same aggressive way, and that's why I drive only during off peak hours and take the least traveled roads out of town. Wish we had nice roads and little traffic like the country roads of Wisconsin.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                I don't know how traffic is in New York, but even after completely replacing the entire brake system with new parts in my Hawk, the stock brakes are marginal for traffic conditions here in California. Maintaining more than two car lengths between you and the car ahead at highway speed is all but impossible here, if there's room to pull in, somebody will. Add to that the need to adjust the stock brakes every few hundred miles just to maintain their meager performance, and swapping to more modern, low maintainence, higher performance brakes is a necessity.
                I have to agree with that assessment: California freeway drivers will squeeze in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by creegster View Post
                  I have to agree with that assessment: California freeway drivers will squeeze in.
                  No disrespect here, but I find it difficult to believe no one living in our country, or even the world for that matter, doesn't "know how traffic is in New York." I am on Long Island which, while not midtown Manhattan, is choked with too many cars, too many bad drivers, and obsolete roads. I do almost all my driving on the East End, also known as the Hamptons, and roads are generally freer here except during the summer, as this is a famous resort area. My idea of converting to discs is not a necessity as the car stops well enough, but I feel that I should have every safety advantage I can. Thanks for your input.
                  peter lee

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    Minneapolis traffic drives the same aggressive way, and that's why I drive only during off peak hours and take the least traveled roads out of town. Wish we had nice roads and little traffic like the country roads of Wisconsin.
                    I've been to Minneapolis and also to the outskirts which are quite scenic. I remember driving past seemingly miles of sunflower fields. Sounds like ideal driving conditions to me. If I lived there I'd do all my driving away from the city.
                    peter lee

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I converted my "marginal", completely rebuilt with care, front brakes for a Hot Rods and Brakes disc conversion, and the difference in stopping ability and effort was phenominal….and that was with the 10 1/2" kit...which fit under my Stock 15" Sky Hawk wheels.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                        No disrespect here, but I find it difficult to believe no one living in our country, or even the world for that matter, doesn't "know how traffic is in New York." I am on Long Island which, while not midtown Manhattan, is choked with too many cars, too many bad drivers, and obsolete roads. I do almost all my driving on the East End, also known as the Hamptons, and roads are generally freer here except during the summer, as this is a famous resort area. My idea of converting to discs is not a necessity as the car stops well enough, but I feel that I should have every safety advantage I can. Thanks for your input.
                        Because I'm in the photo business the last few days, here's a shot of the Turner setup on my Avanti.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180826_134141.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1723508

                        Replaced the caliper yesterday, $19.99 at O'reilley Auto including banjo bolt, copper washers, slide pins and pad insert. Brake pads were $23 if I needed them. One reason I would use the Turner setup is the availability of his SS braided hoses. They fit much better than the suggested OEM grade and are well worth the extra cost.

                        You'll be into it probably $700 or so but you'll be able to stop in traffic. I had an older Ford coupe with stock hydraulic brakes and a small SBC and it's stopping power kept me from enjoying the driving experience to the fullest. When we used to travel with the other folks we did shows with, it required more attention than was enjoyable. They were mostly muscle cars and street rods so I won't be in that position again. Even my 54K has a custom built disk brake setup on it.

                        Pay attention to wheel clearance as you will probably need to change them.

                        Bob

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Bob - I do not believe that your $700 includes labor. I also do not believe that Peter would do this type of conversion work himself, so there would be a major labor adder (at probably $125-$150 per hour).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

                          SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Bob - I do not believe that your $700 includes labor. I also do not believe that Peter would do this type of conversion work himself, so there would be a major labor adder (at probably $125-$150 per hour).
                            Correct - Parts only. Bob

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I presently own a car that was owned by a friend. He had the entire brake system replaced with the same design stock setup. It cost him $1500 which, if he asked me for advise (free) I would have advised the Turner system. Even if it was done by a flat rate mechanic the cost would have been about the same but the benefits would be through the roof.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X