flat towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: flat towing

can a '53 with the stock automatic be dolly towed 75 miles without hurting the transmission?
    gfperry

Any transmission that can be push started (like Studebaker) and have a rear pump, should have the driveshaft disconnected.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
      can a '53 with the stock automatic be dolly towed 75 miles without hurting the transmission?
      With that rare and expensive transmission, I would not chance it for that distance. Disconnect the drive shaft to be safe. Of course you can do it if you put the car on the dolly backwards or put separate wheel lifts under the rear, but I do NOT recommend either of these.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thank you both for the input; i wasn't sure. now looking for a trailer to use!
        gfperry

Comment

U Haul trailers work great!! BTDT. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            U Haul trailers work great!! BTDT. Luck Doofus
            ...unless you tell them you will be towing it WITH a Studebaker! Their online booking system doesn't like that.
            Mike Davis
            Regional Manager, North Carolina
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Rent a pick-up and 4 wheel trailer, wear out their equipment not yours. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Any transmission that can be push started (like Studebaker) and have a rear pump, should have the driveshaft disconnected.
                Actually, you can flat tow a transmission that has the rear pump.

If you do not have a rear pump, the problem is that the transmission does not get lubrication without the engine running. That’s what does the damage. Studebakers do have a rear pump, which lubricates the transmission when the rear wheels are turning even with the engine off.

I have over 30,000 miles of toll dolly experience. A lot of them were Studebaker‘s. Since they have a real pump, I never had a problem.

One warning – make sure you are in neutral. Otherwise, when you had about 20 mph, the transmission will start turning the engine :-)
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Actually, not they were not designed to be driven by the output shaft. there are sprages (one way clutches) there is not provision for prolonged reverse thrust.
                  "I do it all the time" is not the same as a manufacturers recommendation.
                  Last edited by bezhawk; 08-29-2018, 06:32 PM.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    Actually, you can flat tow a transmission that has the rear pump.

If you do not have a rear pump, the problem is that the transmission does not get lubrication without the engine running. That’s what does the damage. Studebakers do have a rear pump, which lubricates the transmission when the rear wheels are turning even with the engine off.
                    I'm glad you made this comment because it was exactly my thoughts. However, if I remember well what they said in Chilton's or Motor's, you could do this only for a limited distance. I'll try to check this this evening.
                    Nice day to all.
                    sigpic

Comment

I also thought there was an issue flat towing because of the caster on the front. Through the cobwebs I recall you had to tie the steering wheel or something?
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

I have also towed a lot of 1956-1964 Studebakers with the rear wheels on the ground. However, I would not do it to a 1950-1955 with AT.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I checked my Chilton's. Their recommandation is a maximum of 15 mph for a maximum distance of 5 miles. This also applies to FlightOMatics.
                          Nice day to all.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X