Pivot bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Pivot bushing removal

The outer bearing sized on the spindle of my Hawk ( fortunately felt it before I lost the wheel ). I have everything disconnected but am unsure how to get the pivot bushings out of the Aframes. You advise please
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

I take it the spindle is ruined, and you want to replace it. It is not necessary to remove the A frame pivots. Put a trolley jack under the lower A frame, as far out as you can and still have access to the big nut on the lower end of the kingpin. Support the car with it. Place some jack stands at strategic points. Respect the coil spring's enormous potential energy. Remove the shock absorber. Use a coil spring compressor or a safety chain. Remove the cotter pin and big nut from the lower end of the kingpin. Lower the jack and
    cautiously release the spring compressor so it forces the lower A frame off of the kingpin. Slide the old spindle off of the kingpin, place the new spindle on the kingpin, and reverse the procedure. This oversimplifies somewhat, but it is all spelled out in the shop
    manual. You do have a shop manual, don't you?

Comment

"The outer bearing sized on my spindle". The wheel bearing? Why would you be messing with A arms/control arms?
      What "pivot bearing" are you talking about? What car? From olinsteel's response I think he believes you're asking about the king pin bushing/bearing. I thought you were asking about the idler arm pivot bearing, then you mention the control arms. No idea what you're asking about.

Comment

Olinsteel is right, but you don't have to bother with lowering the control arm to get the kingpin out of the lower trunion. There is plenty of motion on the top control arm to pivot it up enough to free it from the lower trunion. Then you can slide the spindle off the king pin. You will of course have to readjust the shims for the thrust bearing whenever you change spindles.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bezhawk is also right, I haven't a front end apart for a while. (thankfully).

Comment

I have a complete assembly that I got from a friend who put on turners brake. Thought it would be simpler to swap out the assembly
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

Working...
            X