Engine hard to start when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine hard to start when hot

I did some further testing on my engine being hard to start when hot and found out when it is hot and the key is off it turns over good but with the key in the start position it turns over hard. I would think that should eliminate a starter problem, any ideas?

I assume you bypassed the solenoid when the key is off. Could be the solenoid is failing. It is essentially an electromagnet. When power is applied via the key in the start position, a coil is energized that acts on an iron core completing the starter circuit. When hot, the iron core could stick.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Sounds like advanced ignition when cranking hot. Do you have stock ignition, or something else?

Comment

That's a weird one. If you hot wire it and it cranks OK it is not the solenoid, not the starter, not the timing. It must be a bad connection or possibly the switch or ammeter. Recently had similiar prob with a tractor--it was the ammeter. Try a jumper from switch to solenoid 's' terminal and see if it will crank OK. If so it is the wire (resistance can vary with temp) If it does not crank well,it may be switch. Is there any resistance between 'batt' and start terminal when switch is turned to 'start'? I'm betting on that wire being corroded, tho. Good luck!

Comment

I agree with TW: if it cranks hard when you turn the key on, the timing is a few degrees too advanced.

Comment

The part of the question that is missing; What is cloudy doing to make the engine turn over with the key off. Is he is running a wire to the hot S terminal of the starter solenoid; is there a wire to the coil connected to the I terminal. Or is he supplying power directly to the starter.
            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
              The part of the question that is missing; What is cloudy doing to make the engine turn over with the key off. Is he is running a wire to the hot S terminal of the starter solenoid; is there a wire to the coil connected to the I terminal. Or is he supplying power directly to the starter.
              Ron
              He has a '51 Commander.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

A '51 Commander should not have a Key Start type Ignition Switch.

The Automatic Trans dash starter switch and the Manual Trans. starter switch under the clutch were both GROUNDING SWITCHES!

They did not give "Power" (+) to a "S" Terminal on the Solenoid as there was none.

Is this '51 still a 6 Volt Positive Ground electrical system?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is somewhat hard to follow when the wiring has been obviously modified. It sounds like most likely like advanced timing. Set your timing mark on the front dampener on IGN and lift the distributor cap off, the points should be just breaking. If they have already opened and closed you are too advanced. The points fire at the moment they open.

Comment

Stock, What is advance ignition?

Comment

This is a 6 volt positive ground, all original, the starter is operated by pulling a lever on the dash, the key just supplies the spark

Comment

Originally posted by cloudy View Post
                        Stock, What is advance ignition?
                        If the initial timing is set too much advanced, or if the mechanical advance weights would stick in the advanced position, is what is meant by starting with advanced ignition.

A timing light should tell what's happening with the spark timing.

Comment

yup, sounds like timing is advanced to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X