Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3x2stude
    replied
    You can take one of Dave T's Smoljans and make a 471 blower manifold like this or you can use adapter plates and bolt on a SBC based 671 huffer. The build for the 471 manifold is on the racing site. You can dial down the boost to what is appropriate for the motor, "under-drive" it. If you want a little performance and a lot of "BLING" this is an option. There are two things to note, if you want a Stude to go fast you need to spend some coin and be willing to do some old school work like the small block Chevy boys did before all the bolt on parts came along.

JK

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0531 (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1723505

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    You could always supercharge it. I happen to have a few This one of mine is on the swap pageClick image for larger version

Name:	20180725_153308_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1723471Click image for larger version

Name:	20180725_153345_resized.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1723472

Leave a comment:

• 3x2stude
    replied
    Here is one of Dave's with Rochesters I built eight years ago. Still sits on the shelf. It fills the bill for "cool". A GM triple on my adapters would be a better performer.

JK

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1558.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1723469Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1560.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1723470

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
    Dave T may still sell 3x2 manifolds. I bought one from him about 2 or 3 years ago. I had him drill mine for Rochester 2 bbls. Just needed a little burring of sharp edges.- Jim
    Yes, Dave's Smoljan repops add much bling when the hood is open. It should be mentioned, since this is a 232" thread, the Smoljan intake will not match the smaller ports. It's also a single plane design and doesn't idle as smoothly nor pull as well off idle as the stock intakes.

(I shouldn't be mentioning the above, as I have a new one on the shelf I probably should be offering for sale.)

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• jrlemke
    replied
    Dave T may still sell 3x2 manifolds. I bought one from him about 2 or 3 years ago. I had him drill mine for Rochester 2 bbls. Just needed a little burring of sharp edges.- Jim

Leave a comment:

• Bill-W
    replied
    I want to buy it, since I brought it up I should have first chance at it. Bill 530-872-0465

Leave a comment:

• Bill-W
    replied
    Hi I think I answered you but I don't see it I like your manifold are there enough parts to make it work? Will the Stromburg 97 fit it Or a newer 2 barrel. Is it too tall to fit under the hood of a 51 Commander? Bill W 530-872-0465

Leave a comment:

• Bill-W
    replied
    Hi That would look cool, I want it to look era hot rod. I want it to look fast. Bill-w 530-872-0465

Leave a comment:

• Bill-W
    replied
    2 Carb Manifold

Hi I am interested, Will the manifold fit under the hood of a 1951 Commander with a V8 motor? Are there parts to put it back together? Will the old Stromberg 97 work on it? I want it to for looks, Bill 530-872-0465

Leave a comment:

• StudeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
    I have a Stu-V with the larger ports and front-facing 2-bbl carbs. It has two of the the correct early 2-bbl carbs (designation escapes me at the moment), one disassembled. No linkage or filters... $500 plus shipping... how about that? Half-price!

Btw, as the only one to have driven all three of the 200+ mph Stude-powered Avantis, that kind of power is NOT available with "bolt-on" antique speed parts, I can well assure ya!

Well, if your Stu-V 2-bbl setup is still for sale, I am interested in purchasing it from you.
    Rich G.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Since our OP is new to Studes, it's important to remind him the early aftermarket intakes were designed with small ports to match the '51 - '54 232" heads.

To use the '55 and later Studebaker 4-bbl intakes, R3 exhaust manifolds, the really well-done SBC adapter flanges and Jeff's beautiful modified iron Stude and aluminum Mopar intakes, all require '55 and later heads.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• 3x2stude
    replied
    I know someone who makes adapter plates to bolt a small block Chevy intakes to the Stude. PM me for info.

JK

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Cast iron repop R3 exhaust manifolds are available from Studebaker International.

Also some AFB/WCFB intake manifolds are available from Studebaker International

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    It's been suggested to use 259"/289" heads and that's important if one wants max performance.

As a nod to the old school here, the 232" is a nice-driving and torque-producing engine. Since 232" pistons are NLA, one bores it to 259" and tunes it accordingly, any more money mostly buys bling.

Yes, the two carb intakes look trick and go for $500 or less more often than they sell for $1000 or more.

Yes, there are still finned aluminum rocker covers and valley covers available.

Yes, billet aluminum distributors are available.

No, there are no headers available. Dave Thibault has aluminum repops of the R3 exhaust manifolds which look trick but they're $600 and add zero horsepower to a street engine through the mufflers.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill-W View Post
    Hi All, I have searched e-bay Craig's list and several other sites and I can not find speed parte for a 1951 Commander V8, or any other studebaker. I know a man who has a 2 carb manifold and he wants $1000 for it. It is the only speed part I have found. It looks so tall that I wonder if the hood would close? Air cleaner ? What is it worth? Bill-W
    Well sir , we've given you a fair amount of info here .

Will you at least respond , or acknowledge that you've noticed that , or ask more ?

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    It's been suggested to use 259"/289" heads and that's important if one wants max performance.

As a nod to the old school here, the 232" is a nice-driving and torque-producing engine. Since 232" pistons are NLA, one bores it to 259" and tunes it accordingly, any more money mostly buys bling.

Yes, the two carb intakes look trick and go for $500 or less more often than they sell for $1000 or more.

Yes, there are still finned aluminum rocker covers and valley covers available.

Yes, billet aluminum distributors are available.

No, there are no headers available. Dave Thibault has aluminum repops of the R3 exhaust manifolds which look trick but they're $600 and add zero horsepower to a street engine through the mufflers.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X