1955 e13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1955 e13

My speedometer stopped working. What is procedure to troubleshoot? 5.14 gear ratio, 224 V-8 4sp. What would replacement parts be? Pinion:665106?, Length of Cable/Housing/Core:? What is the maximum speed for this vehicle? 215/85/16 tires.

Also, where is the best place to get replacement glass? Need passenger side door window and drivers side vent window.
    Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

[QUOTE=SB-Danny;1123465] 5.14 gear ratio, 224 V-8 4sp. What is the maximum speed for this vehicle? 215/85/16 tires.{/QUOTE]

Approx 16.5 MPH/1,000 RPM, so maximum would be about 75 MPH. If you run more than 50 MPH for any length of time, the engine will pump all the oil up into the rocker covers and you'll begin to see the oil pressure gauge fluctuate. Don't ignore that.

The good news is the 224" V8 is pretty bullet-proof, as it doesn't make enough horsepower to hurt the thick Stude block and the short stroke runs smoothly.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 08-19-2018, 10:05 PM.
    PackardV8

Comment

Wow, without a tach the engine sounds like it is really cranking at 40 mph when the speedometer worked so I haven't gone much faster.
      Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

Trucks back then certainly weren't made for speed. If you want to drive it much, I'd put an overdrive in it.

Comment

Most Glass shops can cut flat glass to shape.
          That truck was desgined to pull heavy loads slowly. Max speed about 45 mph. That was about the average speed for farm / work trucks back then.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            If you want to drive it much, I'd put an overdrive in it.
            For true, overdrive is good in smaller trucks, but was it offered in the E13?

Anyway, there are 4.10 gears available which helps a bunch.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I got some C cab glass in South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                For true, overdrive is good in smaller trucks, but was it offered in the E13?

Anyway, there are 4.10 gears available which helps a bunch.

jack vines
                Good point...........I was thinking of the smaller pickups. 4.10 gears would be the way to go.

Comment

About your speedometer: The usual scenario for this failure is that the speedometer head seizes up because the oil in the little bushings has dried up. Then the cable twists off somewhere inside the casing. Unscrew the casing from the back of the speedo and pull the core out. Good chance it is broken. You might get one from a vendor, or you can get a universal core from NAPA. You can usually get the speedo unstuck with a little patience and the application of light oil (think sewing machine oil) at the end of the shaft and at the wee tiny oil cup that is lurking under the upper screw right where the cable screws on. You may have to gently grab the stub shaft with a pair of pliers to get it to move at first. Work the oil in till the shaft turns freely and you will be good for another 50 years or so.

Comment

Thanks Jack. Being of non-mechanical mind, what is involved in changing the gears to the 4.10 and where can I locate the parts? What speed can be increased by doing this? Not planning to travel much highway at all or very far anyway but at least wanted a bit more speed then 35-40 mph. Do you need to change tires for higher speeds? I live just outside of South Bend Indiana.
                    Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

I live about 7 miles West of the Museum on Pecan Rd. Give me a call. 574-850-101three

Comment

Jack, where can I get the 4.10 gears? Easy to install?
                        Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

you'd need the ring and pinion set at the minimum, plus there's a backlash to do, etyc.
                          .... I think it would be better to just swap the entire differential.....

Comment

Working...
                          X