Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

What’s are the best lifting points on a flat 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What’s are the best lifting points on a flat 6

Has anyone ever removed the flat 6 with the 4 speed transmission still attached on a C cab? What are the best lift points on the engine with the head removed? These not a lot of thread depth and one hold on the block popped out just threading a bolt into it.
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

One big head bolt up front.
    One big head bolt out back.

Don't sweat the little details......................................................................... .
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      One big head bolt up front.
      One big head bolt out back.

Don't sweat the little details......................................................................... .
      Will leaving the transmission on be okay? It’s a heavy one as you
      Jim Kaufman
      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Just curious...what preparations have you made to pull the engine? On a C Cab, I would remove the hood, grille, radiator, radiator support, and the things on the engine that could get banged around, damaged or snag on the way out of the vehicle. Clearing a path to bring the engine out the front keeps from having to lift too high. An engine leveler would also be good to assist by being able to adjust the lifting point with the transmission still hanging on the back. The main thing is to clear a path and make sure all the stuff that needs to be disconnected gets disconnected. (I always seem to forget something.)

I have always had good luck with using front & rear head bolts.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes, the transmission can be pulled at the same time. No major accidents, which is a first.
          Jim Kaufman
          Kearney NE

1952 2R10
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Just curious...what preparations have you made to pull the engine? On a C Cab, I would remove the hood, grille, radiator, radiator support, and the things on the engine that could get banged around, damaged or snag on the way out of the vehicle. Clearing a path to bring the engine out the front keeps from having to lift too high. An engine leveler would also be good to assist by being able to adjust the lifting point with the transmission still hanging on the back. The main thing is to clear a path and make sure all the stuff that needs to be disconnected gets disconnected. (I always seem to forget something.)

I have always had good luck with using front & rear head bolts.
            I will post pictures to my Facebook page “Cedar Hills Studebaker”
            Jim Kaufman
            Kearney NE

1952 2R10
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Working...
            X