Climatizer air duct route 54C Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Climatizer air duct route 54C Commander

On my 54 C where exactly does the air duct hose from the Climatizer blower motor to heater core duct tube go ? Does it go in front of the cowl to frame body mount bolt ? When I place it here it rubs the heat riser valve and is within an inch of the exhaust manifold. It looks to me like it would melt. Plus it looks like the tire would rub it when turning the wheels. Or does it go behind the cowl to frame body mount bolt? I have gone thru all of my manuals and I can't find a good picture or explanation as to it's routing. Another question, my heater core air duct tube it so tight against the floor board that I can't work the hose or clamp over it. Do I need to lift the carpet and loosen screws that hold the core tube? TY
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Someone asked this exact question about this exact model about a year ago, and many responses included photos, but I'll be danged if I can find it. And I believe you probably DO need to loosen the attaching screw from under the carpet to drop the duct tube just a tad, then tighten your clamp and screw the tube back up.

In the interim, I just went to the garage and took a few I hope will help.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1721792 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150531.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1721793 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150535.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1721794
    Last edited by rockne10; 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I don't know how you got it between the engine and firewall running it around the front of the firewall body mount, but it goes behind it, between the body mount and the toeboard then runs along the frame. It is tight against the floor at the heater tube, I just wedge a screwdriver between the heater tube and floor enough to get the hose on.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Someone asked this exact question about this exact model about a year ago, and many responses included photos, but I'll be danged if I can find it. And I believe you probably DO need to loosen the attaching screw from under the carpet to drop the duct tube just a tad, then tighten your clamp and screw the tube back up.

In the interim, I just went to the garage and took a few I hope will help.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]74816[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]74817[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]74818[/ATTACH]
        Thank you so much ! Your pictures cleared up what my manuals didn't. Pat
        1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Here's another couple.

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1721799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1721800

Comment

What’s that blue support Ben?

Comment

I put in a GM 4L60 trans, it has only a top half bellhousing. The stock rear engine mount is on the bottom of the bell housing on the manual trans I removed ,the stock auto has two at about 5 an 7 oclock, they mount to a cross member that bolts to the same 3 bolts on each frame rail mine bolts to. That stock cross member was in the way so I made my own. It's a bit lower and about 4"more rearward. It has frame brackets that incorporate rear engine mounts, and a removeable cross member between them. The rear of the trans is bolted to the "wing", which I had to trim a bit too.

Name:	20180716_133234.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1721801

Comment

Interesting, nice job Ben.

Comment

Working...
                X