Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1951 Commander Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: 1951 Commander Clock

Does anyone know how to remove the minute hand on a 1951 Commander Clock?

I have tried everything I can think of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_133938.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1758399

A Clockmaker would know that. Myself, I would never open one up, let the Pro's do that.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm trying to make all the repairs myself. It means more to me to stand back and say I did this. I was able to get most of the clock apart fairly easily. I just am not sure if there is a trick to get the minute hand off of the clock or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Plus my funds for this project are low and I would rather try to fix it myself than pay someone to do it for me.

Comment

I've had some clocks out of the case, but I'd be afraid of breaking the shaft by trying to remove the hands. I'd ask a clock repair shop also.

Comment

Did you see this post ? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?107281-Studebaker-Instrument-panel-clock-service&highlight=clock+repair The guy who posted it is a watchmaker, maybe send him a message.

Comment

There are probably special tools to do the job.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thank you all for replying. I have found what I believe is the problem. There are 3 stripped teeth on the driven gear for the mechanical movements. Unfortunately, now I have to get the minute hand off and find a parts clock. Any suggestions?

Comment

The clocks were made by clock making companies, not by Studebaker. A similar age clock from a different brand of car might yield the parts you need.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thank you for that. I do have a few other clocks from the same era. I'm still fighting with the darn minute had. I do not want to break it trying to fix it, which sometimes happens.

Comment

On some of my vintage cars I have found that the hands screw off counter clockwise as opposed to being pressed on like some of my other cars. I found that Nash used the same movements in there 53, 54, 55 models as Studebaker and I have substituted clockworks from a Nash into my 52s clock
                    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Thank you. I will try threading them off. I have tried that with no luck but I will try again.

Comment

Working...
                      X