Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

53 rear bumper filler panel scews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rbisacca
    replied
    Glad you took Roys' suggestion. If you own a vintage vehicle you should have the appropriate manuals. When you receive your chassis parts catalog you will find the following:
    Gravel deflector held on by 5/16 X 1/2 Hex. Washer Head Self-Tapping screw
    Filler held on by 10X1/2 Slotted head self tapping screw and lock washers.
    Last edited by rbisacca; 08-24-2018, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    Do not forget that the 1953 panels are different from the 1954.

See the links above in Post #8
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 08-24-2018, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by dclewallen View Post
    Again, Thanks to all for the help and information, and to Radioroy, I've ordered the body and chassis manuals you suggested so now I won't need to ask about every bolt I don't have.
    Plus... you will be able to answer questions that others have.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-17-2018, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dclewallen
    replied
    Again, Thanks to all for the help and information, and to Radioroy, I've ordered the body and chassis manuals you suggested so now I won't need to ask about every bolt I don't have.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    Just a side note, originally the graver deflector on my 54 was bent upwards and flat with little definition of a crease (from backing into a curb/s) I removed the component and determined how it should look and did some body work to reshape it and now it appears as original. I can understand that there could be some confusion when looking at these two metal components if one is damaged.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    Agreed, Rockne 10. My reply about the #8 screws was in reference to the filler panel, which I just installed on my Hawk, a couple of months ago. The same screws had a couple of tabs to support the taillight wiring.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by dclewallen View Post
    I see in my SI catalog, Body manuals that include 53 cars listed under Body and Chassis manuals, is this the right one?
    Yes; you should procure them both. If you already have the Shop Manual, those three books should be all you need.

I do hope everyone clearly understands the difference between the "gravel deflector" and the "deflector, filler panel", which I believe was Darryl's initial inquiry.
    Dave's photo is of a gravel deflector that goes below the bumper and attaches to the frame. That is not the filler panel, which screws to the body just below the trunk lid opening.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    There is a 53-58 body parts catalog and a 51-54 chassis parts catalog. You should get both.

Leave a comment:

• dclewallen
    replied
    Thanks all for the info, think I'll just run by Fastenal or Ace and see what they have, also thanks Roy for info on the chassis parts catalog. I knew there were different manuals [ I've got two shop manuals] but I did not know which of the other ones had the information I need. I see in my SI catalog, Body manuals that include 53 cars listed under Body and Chassis manuals, is this the right one? Again Thanks all for the replies and answers.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Altair, I see from my notes I had them as 1/4-20 bolts but I am sure you are correct they are 5/16-18. I know that most every other bolt in my car was that diameter. I was able to find the right sort of bolts with those flared heads at a local surplus hardware place that often had stuff not usually easy to find. Same (except shorter) as the ones holding the front fender aprons to the core support and other places.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    Error/correction 5/16 x 18 threads per inch.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08991.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1721783Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08990.JPG
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1721784Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08989.JPG
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1721785I think the 53s and 54s are mounted the same there are three machine screws 5/16-24 thread X 1/2" X 1/2" hex head

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    That attachment I posted also shows the bolts that hold the "gravel deflector" to the frame if that is what you were looking at. The filler panel is at the top between the body under trunk lower weather seal and the bumper. Attached to body. The gravel deflector is at the bottom under bumper attached to the frame.

Note that '53's (maybe a midyear change too....) do not have the larger formed part that is painted body color and has a notch for the exhaust. Those came with '54's. I suspect many have been changed over the years.

Some prior posts on this topic (lower gravel deflector/filler):

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...avel+deflector

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...avel+deflector

The bolts for that part at least for the earlier version are large actual self threading bolts as per the notes.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Sorry, I was looking at the lower, body filler/ exhaust panel. They should be a large phillips. I think they are the same as the tailight housings.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Per my notes from 1997:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filler panel detail.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1721773

Looks like phillips head sheet metal screws. 3/8" diameter heads with 1/2" long threads. Could be #8 or #10 ???

My recollection is the heads are dome shaped and not the typical hardware store screws but not hard to find close enough ones if that matters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X