Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

53 rear bumper filler panel scews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 53 rear bumper filler panel scews

On a 53 K body Studebaker, what size and type are the screws that hold the rear bumper filler panel to the body? My car has a new paint job and zero hardware also is there a manual that would give me this information along with the sizes of other bolts and screws on this vehicle? Thanks for any help on this as I'm trying to put back together my car after someone else took it apart and left me without a lot of the screws and bolts required to put it back together. Thanks in advance, Darryl Lewallen
    Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

If I'm not sure on sheet metal screw size, I usually start with small (#4, or #6) and see if they tighten up snug. If not, just move up a size at a time, till they feel like they fit. I'm guessing that the filler panel will take a #8, by 1/2", but not positive.

Comment

Both 53 and 63 C/k I have here use the same self tapper with built in washer style head.

It is the same bolt that most models use to hold the radiator to the saddle... Larks Hawks etc all the same....

Comment

There is a manual. It's called the chassis parts catalog. If you buy one and read it, you will be amazed at the amount of information contained therein.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I believe these are hidden by the bumper once it is installed. So what ever size it takes to fit the hole should be fine.

Comment

Per my notes from 1997:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filler panel detail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1721773

Looks like phillips head sheet metal screws. 3/8" diameter heads with 1/2" long threads. Could be #8 or #10 ???

My recollection is the heads are dome shaped and not the typical hardware store screws but not hard to find close enough ones if that matters.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Sorry, I was looking at the lower, body filler/ exhaust panel. They should be a large phillips. I think they are the same as the tailight housings.

Comment

That attachment I posted also shows the bolts that hold the "gravel deflector" to the frame if that is what you were looking at. The filler panel is at the top between the body under trunk lower weather seal and the bumper. Attached to body. The gravel deflector is at the bottom under bumper attached to the frame.

Note that '53's (maybe a midyear change too....) do not have the larger formed part that is painted body color and has a notch for the exhaust. Those came with '54's. I suspect many have been changed over the years.

Some prior posts on this topic (lower gravel deflector/filler):

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...avel+deflector

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...avel+deflector

The bolts for that part at least for the earlier version are large actual self threading bolts as per the notes.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08991.JPG
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1721783Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08990.JPG
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1721784Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08989.JPG
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1721785I think the 53s and 54s are mounted the same there are three machine screws 5/16-24 thread X 1/2" X 1/2" hex head

Comment

Error/correction 5/16 x 18 threads per inch.

Comment

Altair, I see from my notes I had them as 1/4-20 bolts but I am sure you are correct they are 5/16-18. I know that most every other bolt in my car was that diameter. I was able to find the right sort of bolts with those flared heads at a local surplus hardware place that often had stuff not usually easy to find. Same (except shorter) as the ones holding the front fender aprons to the core support and other places.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks all for the info, think I'll just run by Fastenal or Ace and see what they have, also thanks Roy for info on the chassis parts catalog. I knew there were different manuals [ I've got two shop manuals] but I did not know which of the other ones had the information I need. I see in my SI catalog, Body manuals that include 53 cars listed under Body and Chassis manuals, is this the right one? Again Thanks all for the replies and answers.
                        Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

There is a 53-58 body parts catalog and a 51-54 chassis parts catalog. You should get both.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by dclewallen View Post
                            I see in my SI catalog, Body manuals that include 53 cars listed under Body and Chassis manuals, is this the right one?
                            Yes; you should procure them both. If you already have the Shop Manual, those three books should be all you need.

I do hope everyone clearly understands the difference between the "gravel deflector" and the "deflector, filler panel", which I believe was Darryl's initial inquiry.
                            Dave's photo is of a gravel deflector that goes below the bumper and attaches to the frame. That is not the filler panel, which screws to the body just below the trunk lid opening.
                            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Agreed, Rockne 10. My reply about the #8 screws was in reference to the filler panel, which I just installed on my Hawk, a couple of months ago. The same screws had a couple of tabs to support the taillight wiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X