Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

160mph speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: 160mph speed

Members, I am looking for a 160mph speedo for my 64 Super Hawk. Seems the original owner changed it to a 120mph for insurance reasons and now I am finishing up a major concours quality paint and want to change the speedo. A working or non working 160mph speedo for a Super Hawk is what I need. Please look around.
    thanks,
    Mark

Any limit on the amount of money you are willing to spend?....that could be the determining factor to cause one to let go of an NOS speedo that has been sitting in storage for over 50 years. Additionally, why would you consider a non-working part, considering you are finishing up a major big bucks ground up restoration??
    Originally posted by mch View Post
    Members, I am looking for a 160mph speedo for my 64 Super Hawk. Seems the original owner changed it to a 120mph for insurance reasons and now I am finishing up a major concours quality paint and want to change the speedo. A working or non working 160mph speedo for a Super Hawk is what I need. Please look around.
    thanks,
    Mark

Comment

Indicating a concours quality paint really answers your inquiry. Looking for one that may not work is worth checking out and then sending out to Gentry Zentmeyer at autoinsturments01@gmail.com for a complete rebuild.

Comment

I believe they converted the Borg clock in my car to quartz. As to your response, I did not want to assume anything, hence my question, I have found over the years men spend their money in very specific and unique ways, not all the time to my liking, but then the money was not mine to spend.
        Indicating a concours quality paint really answers your inquiry. Looking for one that may not work is worth checking out and then sending out to Gentry Zentmeyer at autoinsturments01@gmail.com for a complete rebuild.

Comment

Mark, let me get this straight: the insurance agent would inspect car speedometers before writing policies?
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ivorydan View Post
            Mark, let me get this straight: the insurance agent would inspect car speedometers before writing policies?
            Dan
            That one had me stumped also.

Comment

I think Mark is somewhat confused as to the reason(s) the original owner changed the speedo....why assume the insurance company had anything to do with it??? Insurance underwriters do not come poking around a cars interior. Back in the day, insurance companies would ask what car you were insuring, and what engine the car had in it. I remember my friend purchased a new Dodge Challenger back in 1970, the ins company asked him which engine was in the car, fortunately he did not fib, even if he did the VIN would have made clear what was sitting under the hood, no use to tell them it was the 318 two barrel, when the truth was it twas the 440 six pac!! Btw...that car literally rotted off the frame.... and folks talk about South Bend "ROT":-(
              Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              That one had me stumped also.

Comment

Hawklover, you need never to speak on my behalf; again.
                for IvoryDan a& TWC Champ, Regarding the information I was told by the daughter, when the car was purchased and delivered new in CA, at that time for reasons unknown, the owner changed the speedo as he either thought, was told, or otherwise that the 160 speedo would cause his insurance rates to increase. Since I was not there, I am receiving the information from the daughter to be what it was.
                This is a totally rust free car with 54K original miles. I had the car totally disassembled for the outcome I wanted. Other than carpet & headliner, the interior is in great shape. A/C is very cold & the car drives fast & straight. I think by September this will be another concours winner.

Comment

When I placed insurance on my Hawk, the agent asked a list of standard questions regarding standard equipment, and any modifications that were added. Obviously, a street legal race car, would be more risk to insure, than a grocery getter. The list included standard performance add ons, and the last one on the list, whether it had a parachute. I can see where a 160 mph speedometer could portray the car as "high performance".

Comment

As the Bard wrote, "Methinks thou dost protest too much" Candidly I proffered an opinion, you seem to be a way bit too thin skinned.."Methinks"...how can you say I speak for you??.....kind of a silly thing to suggest. The amount of capital that you invested into this car is your business. You can assume anything you want concerning the previous owner. I am quite sure once the car is finished you will post pictures so that the assembled masses on this board can go ooh and ahh and give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.
                    Hawklover, you need never to speak on my behalf; again.
                    for IvoryDan a& TWC Champ, Regarding the information I was told by the daughter, when the car was purchased and delivered new in CA, at that time for reasons unknown, the owner changed the speedo as he either thought, was told, or otherwise that the 160 speedo would cause his insurance rates to increase. Since I was not there, I am receiving the information from the daughter to be what it was.
                    This is a totally rust free car with 54K original miles. I had the car totally disassembled for the outcome I wanted. Other than carpet & headliner, the interior is in great shape. A/C is very cold & the car drives fast & straight. I think by September this will be another concours winner.

Comment

With Hagerty, you just tell them the car, the coverage and the value amount online. Hit submit.. No face time, no application, fast insurance for a daily driver. Fairly reasonable. I've used them for years, up to 3 cars at a time
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Ah, come on, guys; the fellow just wants a speedo.

Comment

you are correct Xcalibur, I just want a speedo and not an "authority" to speak for me or others. I suppose my request with the aforementioned information was just too amateurish for such an authority
                          BTW I was informed of a 62 Super Hawk being parted out as this car was the victim of a Ohio flood event years ago. The appearance of the speedo and other gauges were just damaged beyond my needs. This forum does provide great assistance from many of not most.
                          thanks
                          Mark

Comment

Well shucks!... Sometime in the early 1980's, I stuck a 160mph speedometer in my 4 speed '62 Hawk. I probably paid over twenty bucks for it at a swap meet. The original speedometer was working just fine (I might still have it). The reason for the change...It was COOL!!! Nothing more complicated than that! You shoulda seen the crowd that gathered around it at the NASCAR spring race in 1988 when I was invited (along with a crowd of vintage cars) to participate in the parade lap before the race.
                            I'm sad 'bout letting go of that car, but now, wishing I had kept that speedometer.
                            Great memories.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Members, I am looking for a 160mph speedo for my 64 Super Hawk. Seems the original owner changed it to a 120mph for insurance reasons
                              That surely sounds like a baloney story to me. Of all the cars I've insured, some high performance, some grocery getters, I've never had an insurance company ever look at any one of them.

To the extent an insurer would care, the VIN tells the whole story anyway.

The one car I have insured as a "classic car" with J.C. Taylor, they did ask for a single side profile photo. They didn't ask, and I didn't offer that it has twice the HP it left the factory with.
                              Last edited by jnormanh; 08-18-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X