Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any source (or replacement) for "stove pipe" asbestos/steel gasket on Supercharger intake manifold?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuel System: any source (or replacement) for "stove pipe" asbestos/steel gasket on Supercharger intake manifold?

    Hi,
    I'm putting my Intake Manifold back on at last (all the "turquoise" is fully restored at last! ;-)
    I noticed for the first time an asbestos(?) gasket around the little stove-pipe coming up through Intake Manifold ('57 Golden Hawk, so supercharged and airbox, though not sure that matters for this).
    A friend found the part number, stove pipe gasket 1542826, but I can't find it online. I don't have links to all of your sites, and thought someone might have a stash of NOS parts yet (my buddy just got rid of all his engine parts).

    If I knew I couldn't easily replace it, it wasn't THAT bad of shape, maybe would have sealed ok. BUT, definitely not now that I've peeled it off. Still in one piece, but not sure what I'd put on it to stand up to the temperatures. If no-one has one or knows who does, any recommended replacements or sealants that are sufficiently high-temp to keep that air-box around the carb sealed?
    Here's a photo:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	stovepipe washer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1758391
    Thanks guys!
    Barry

  • #2
    It is only Hot Air you are dealing with here not Vacuum, it does not need a 100% Seal, wouldn't a ordinary Steel Tube do the job? I am pretty sure they covered it with Asbestos to hold more heat in, but it won't make a Huge difference.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks Rich. Have to admit, I've not even rebuilt my carb yet, that's next. Therefore have not studied ANY of the special additions for the supercharger on my GHawk…. You may be right, and if so the old gasket (with half the asbestos torn off..) would probably work just fine). BUT, what I don't understand, is why have a gasketed chamber, top and bottom and threaded ports for adjustment screws, etc.. if being pressurized were not an important part? And any leak, no matter how small (stove-pipe is pretty big opening), is going to let that pressure equalize to ambient. (isn't it?). That is my guess; as I said, I've NOT studied this yet, nor ever done one before obviously. Just seems "wrong" to leak. If pressure is less than designed (due to leak), what is the effect on the supercharger function? Looking forward to learning about this. (much more than I am learning how to flare brake and gas line fittings :-( In for a penny, in for a pound though!

      Comment


      • #4
        It's been years, but I remember a special one piece gasket between the air box and manifold. It sealed the intake passages and choke stove "well". I don't remember a separate ring like that.
        Mike

        Comment


        • #5
          Mike, I just put the BOTTOM gasket in my cart at SI, and it comes up as the exact same as the carb gasket. SO basically carb gasket on bottom, and another top, of the air-chamber. I was hoping it might have a big "inserted ring" in it or something too. Maybe used to, but not what that part number pulls up now.... 1540006.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
            thanks Rich. Have to admit, I've not even rebuilt my carb yet, that's next. Therefore have not studied ANY of the special additions for the supercharger on my GHawk…. You may be right, and if so the old gasket (with half the asbestos torn off..) would probably work just fine). BUT, what I don't understand, is why have a gasketed chamber, top and bottom and threaded ports for adjustment screws, etc.. if being pressurized were not an important part? And any leak, no matter how small (stove-pipe is pretty big opening), is going to let that pressure equalize to ambient. (isn't it?). That is my guess; as I said, I've NOT studied this yet, nor ever done one before obviously. Just seems "wrong" to leak. If pressure is less than designed (due to leak), what is the effect on the supercharger function? Looking forward to learning about this. (much more than I am learning how to flare brake and gas line fittings :-( In for a penny, in for a pound though!
            Yes, I am wrong about that choke heater tube gasket though, I was not thinking about the Air Box that it has to go through, I have never owned one of these Supercharged Studes. much longer than it takes to flip it, GH's were never one of my "Things" to more than admire. You definitely don't want to lose S/C pressure.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
              Mike, I just put the BOTTOM gasket in my cart at SI, and it comes up as the exact same as the carb gasket. SO basically carb gasket on bottom, and another top, of the air-chamber. I was hoping it might have a big "inserted ring" in it or something too. Maybe used to, but not what that part number pulls up now.... 1540006.
              As I said, it's been a while. My memory of that gasket may be faulty.
              My Chassis Parts Catalog, ('61 revision), also lists the 1540006 # as "Air Chamber Base " Gasket, and in another place as carburetor gasket. It's the carb gasket for unsupercharged models as well as the Golden Hawk. That surprises me as I know the supercharged carb has larger ventura, and presumably larger throttle bores.
              The ring, 1542826, is listed in a third place, as gasket for the automatic choke tube on supercharged models.
              There are a couple of notes in the parts book about early and late versions of the air box parts, but I think they have to do with single or dual flapper valves or the drain tube.
              Mcmaster/Carr has "crush washers" in metric sizes, made of soft copper. There used to be compressible, asbestos filled, soft copper rings, used as gaskets for oil drain plugs. The thickness needs to match the carb gasket.

              Mike
              Last edited by Mike; 08-14-2018, 04:08 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
                Hi,
                I'm putting my Intake Manifold back on at last (all the "turquoise" is fully restored at last! ;-)
                I noticed for the first time an asbestos(?) gasket around the little stove-pipe coming up through Intake Manifold ('57 Golden Hawk, so supercharged and airbox, though not sure that matters for this).
                A friend found the part number, stove pipe gasket 1542826, but I can't find it online. I don't have links to all of your sites, and thought someone might have a stash of NOS parts yet (my buddy just got rid of all his engine parts).

                If I knew I couldn't easily replace it, it wasn't THAT bad of shape, maybe would have sealed ok. BUT, definitely not now that I've peeled it off. Still in one piece, but not sure what I'd put on it to stand up to the temperatures. If no-one has one or knows who does, any recommended replacements or sealants that are sufficiently high-temp to keep that air-box around the carb sealed?
                Here's a photo:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]74767[/ATTACH]
                Thanks guys!
                Barry
                Barry,
                Restoration Specialities in Pennsylvania sells a replacement for the manifold heat stove pipe. Since they can't sell asbestos for environmental reasons, the replacement is fiberglass and looks the same as the original asbestos sleeve. All the Larks, Hawks and Avantis use this, and it should work on your Golden Hawk.
                Here is the direct link to their item, $2.50 per foot. http://stores.restorationspecialties...d-by-the-foot/

                Here is an image of the part from Restoration Specialities:

                and an image with their choke tube loom on an Avanti intake manifold:
                Attached Files
                Lew Schucart
                Editor, Avanti Magazine

                Comment


                • #9
                  thanks Mike; good idea.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    thanks Lew! That is NOT the part I was looking for; I wanted the 'washer size' asbestos/steel ring around the stove pipe coming straight through the intake manifold.
                    BUT, this is about the NEXT item (for the rest of the path!), and mine is of course tattered and half gone. So, thanks for answering THAT one before I thought to ask! :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My Packard Hawk had a rubber type of gasket under the flange of the heat tube. There is a spring, and a cup type washer that goes over the heat stove of the manifold. The washer was between them. The pipe itself would have had some sleeve like Lew posted. Non supercharged cars would have had a branch to the airhorn of the carb for fresh air intake to the heat stove. Since the air box has to fit over the heat stove, and it is enclosed already in a filtered environment, the branch is left off.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com


                      "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X