all cleaned up and looking sexy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: all cleaned up and looking sexy

I posted a thread in the General Studebaker forum about a transmission that I was practically gifted from PackardV8. Thanks again Jack. I wanted to put a couple of pics up to show a little progress on getting it ready for the "winter" project. Tried several different things trying to clean it up but NONE of them worked. I tried taking it to a car wash and using their degreaser, didn't touch it....not even one rock that was stuck in the gunk came off. So, I go get some spray engine degreaser. Spray it, wait, then back to the car wash.......uh....crap, back to Walmart I go. Got a "professional" gunk remover....same result. So, took it back home and used the engine degreaser, wire brush and my #1 (putty knife/scraper). It was a nice full 100 degree day of spraying and scraping but it looks beautiful. Elbow grease goes a long way.

Rog

Attached Files
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Quick, paint it so it isn't naked!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I had to use a similar tactic for my frame: wire brush and scraper were the only thing that would get the dirt/grease/oil/rocks/paint off

These helped quite a bit

https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Cri...rds=wire+brush

Comment

I always start by using a putty knife to get the thick stuff off, then a stiff parts cleaning brush and pan of gas if it's oily, otherwise I go to Dollar Tree and buy a few cans of oven cleaner. This contains the same good cleaning chemicals that the old hot tanks used to clean blocks and engine parts.

Comment

Cleaned it an rubbed it down with shop rags, then a quick hit with carburetor cleaner. Bingo
          As you walk down the fairway of life you must
          smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Comment

Easy-Off oven cleaner, then Carburetor Cleaner...then metal etch primer.

Comment

Working...
            X