Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R2 cranking pressure

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine: R2 cranking pressure

    The shop manual calls for 160 -170 PSI. This 59,000 mile engine shows 123-132 PSI, hot, all plugs out, and throttle open. Oil in two holes made no change, at that point I stopped trying. I'm at 2100 feet altitude, but I doubt it would make that much difference. What is real life cranking pressure on an R2?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  • #2
    Ron, Motors says 160 PSI, now if the origional steel head gaskets were replaced with composition head gasket that could explain the difference. Valves not sealing as well after how many years? Valves properly adjusted? Lou Cote

    Comment


    • #3
      Considering the readings are reasonably consistent it seems unlikely that any wear would be so even across all 8 cylinders. On the other hand the readings you are getting are about what would be expected in an engine with dished pistons.
      American iron, real old school
      With two tone paint, it sure is cool

      Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
      With an overdrive that just won't stall

      With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
      With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

      Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
      The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

      Tried to sell her, but got no taker
      I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

      Comment


      • #4
        Check your valve adjustment. Note what you've got now and then set them to spec. If they're at all tight, if you've had exhaust valve seat recession, that can lower the cranking compression.

        jack vines
        PackardV8

        Comment


        • #5
          Stock cam?
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by greyben View Post
            /Cut/On the other hand the readings you are getting are about what would be expected in an engine with dished pistons.
            However if still stock, an R1 and R2 Both have Flattop Pistons with stock R2 Heads about; 9 to 9.5 Compression Ratio.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

            Comment


            • #7
              Put the borescope in and see I have flat top pistons, but lots of carbon
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

              Comment


              • #8
                Just as a double check, measure stroke to ensure you have 289 crank. You never know...

                If you have a thick dark layer of 'carbon ' it is likely bad rings as you could be pumping a lot of oil.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

                Comment


                • #9
                  Usually engines with bad rings will be clean around the outer part of the piston tops.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Best as I can tell from comparing what little I can see to a feeler gauge, the gaskets are around .035". It's not at all accurate, but the best I can guess.

                    Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
                    Ron, Motors says 160 PSI, now if the origional steel head gaskets were replaced with composition head gasket that could explain the difference. Valves not sealing as well after how many years? Valves properly adjusted? Lou Cote
                    - - - Updated - - -

                    I'm really not using any oil, and the plugs stay clean.
                    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    Usually engines with bad rings will be clean around the outer part of the piston tops.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I adjusted the valves to .026"cold today, all were a bit tight, from .023 to .025. Yesterday, the compression was tested with the engine warm, today, cold. Not much difference, maybe 5 pounds. And though it cranked fine, I had forgotten to recharge the battery.
                      How much difference between hot with a fresh battery and cold with a not too bad, but not too fresh battery should I expect? I hate the idea of putting the plugs in, warmong it up, and pulling them again, but I guess I better get used to it.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sounds like composite head gaskets instead of shim. There is usually a small portion on the outside edge of the heads where you can inspect. If there are 2 pieces of steel with a filler, they are not the shim gaskets. Could lower compression to about 8.5.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                          I adjusted the valves to .026"cold today, all were a bit tight, from .023 to .025. Yesterday, the compression was tested with the engine warm, today, cold. Not much difference, maybe 5 pounds. And though it cranked fine, I had forgotten to recharge the battery.
                          How much difference between hot with a fresh battery and cold with a not too bad, but not too fresh battery should I expect? I hate the idea of putting the plugs in, warmong it up, and pulling them again, but I guess I better get used to it.
                          All the Shop Manual specs are for cold cranking compression.

                          And yes, having a fully charged battery cranking over fast does make a noticeable difference on some engines.

                          jack vines
                          PackardV8

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Any chance you have a bad gage? I have seen the ones with the rubber hose between the plug hole adopter and gage go bad, and flex out when cranking.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you checked it cold it is probably okay. Warm it up to operating temp 160 deg and check again. It'll be higher. If there is no blow-by or excessive oil consumption, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it----it wouldn't be worth dropping several grand into it just to raise compression 20 psi.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X