'51 Champion steering wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: '51 Champion steering wheels

Were all '51 Champion steering wheels black or were there other colors offered? And was there only the one basic wheel design with the logo horn button, or were there other styles, perhaps with a circular or half-circle chrome horn ring? Mostly curious. Thanks.

If you have the 1951 Studebaker Parts Catalog it shows all of the Optional and Standard Wheels and Horn buttons and Rings.

Basically all the Lowest and some middle Trim Models had Buttons and Higher Trim Level Cars had Chrome Horn Rings and Deluxe 3 Spoke steering Wheels.

Most wheels were Tan or Gray, but yes several Colors depending on trim level and Interior Color. Usually Black was for Trucks.

Your Body Tag on the right side of the Firewall will tell you the trim Level of your Car, lower numbers are less style and cost.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-11-2018, 04:17 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Great information. Thanks. The wheel in my Champion is in very nice condition, but it's black and gets really hot when the car sits in the sun. I live in central California farm country in what was once desert and it's quite normal to be 100-degrees plus during the summer.

Does anyone have a grey wheel with the chrome half round horn ring and all the horn contacts in place that they would sell? Then maybe I could go without the gloves when I first get in the car on a hot day. I'm also looking for a nice set of stainless windshield trim for a one-piece windshield in a '51 Champion. My email is dg.nsd@sbcglobal.net Thanks.

Comment

You could go get this windshield trim from Jerry:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/d/parting-out-52-studebaker/6666510520.htm
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Obviously extreme care must be used removing it, especially if you've never done one before. Understand how it hooks into the gasket first.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

That's what I keep hearing about the windshield trim--be careful. The problem is I've never removed or installed one--my '51 came without the trim. But since I need to replace the windshield, I want to include the trim in the new rubber. I think the windshield looks a little unfinished without it.

I wonder if these parts guys know how to get it off without kinking it. Any chance I could get you to go pull the trim for me, just to have a better chance that it's not damaged. I'll be glad to pay you for your time. I'm in Merced. Let me know if it's possible for you to do that. I've already emailed the seller about the part, so I imagine it would have to happen quickly, before they try to pull it. Let me know if you have the time. My email is dg.nsd@sbcglobal.net and my phone is (209) 384-3456. Thanks.--Don Green

(I sent this same message to your private message link.)

Comment

Be aware that the car windshield is removed and installed from the INSIDE of the car. This is not common among windshield designs and many/most glass shops are not aware of this peculiarity.

I have never seen a black steering wheel on a 51 Studebaker car. How about a picture, please?
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hey Roy, how are you doing? I'll be happy to send you a photo of my '51 Champ steering wheel. I'm fairly new to the forum and so far I don't see a way to add a photo to a message. Perhaps you can explain that to me, or if you send me your phone number I'll text the photo to you. My car has a grey interior, dash and window frames so I'm surprised it doesn't also have a grey wheel. Hopefully, I'll be able to find one.--Don

Thanks for the tip about installing the windshield from inside the car. I had no idea it would be done that way. I was planning on taking it to a glass shop for their expertise, but I'll bet they don't know that trick either. Perhaps I'll give it a try myself.

Comment

This is a good reason to buy the shop manual, as well as a couple other for each year Studebaker a person owns.

To post a picture with my message, I click on the tree in window icon. Then "Browse" comes up, and you can search your pictures and click on the one to post. Then click on "upload files".
                  Attached Files

Comment

I believe my Starlight may be a base model as it came with a radio delete plate and no stainless trim around the windshield. The radio has now been added and I'm looking for the windshield trim.

While the dash and window frames are grey, the wheel is a black three-spoke with only a center horn button. It doesn't appear to have ever had a chrome horn ring; I'm basing that on other cars I owned having notches on the wheel to allow a horn ring to move when pressed. The center horn button has a chrome outer ring with concentric colored rings in the plastic area and a gold stylized S in the center. The wheel is in very nice condition and is 18-inches in diameter (one inch larger than the wheel in my '57 Transtar parts truck).

Comment

To install the stainless window trim on a car that never had it, don't you need to change the rubber, which means removing the front windshield and rear window glass. As I understand it, this is not an easy job.

Comment

Yes, it does require a different rubber molding, but my car's windshield has some very noticable wiper marks and plain old age swirls so I'm planning on new glass. As far as the difficulty of installing the windshield, I won't know for a while yet. But RadioRoy (above) advised me that the windshield is removed/installed from inside the car. I'll have to see if any of my manuals mention that. Then again, I may take it to a vintage glass shop and let them figure it out. I'd hate to break the glass or bend the trim (once I get the trim!)

Comment

Working...
                        X