Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

51 Commander hinge and trunk repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 51 Commander hinge and trunk repair

So, I did not go the route of replacing the trunk hinges. I took some advice and repaired them according to the instructions on Bob's Studebaker Resource page. The article was from Melvin Klotz.

The drivers side trunk lid was up 2 inches by the hinges and the trunk would not shut correctly. Hinge was pulled and the repair begun.

I drilled out the old rivets and replaced them with new clevis pins. There is no slop in the hinge at all.

Reinstalled the hinged worked on the adjustments and now this is the result.

It is still about 3/8 of an inch high. The trunk looks like it just is not the correct shape. Also the trunk seal is very hard and may not allowing it to lie correctly.
    Any other ideas or adjustments I am missing? I used the manual for the adjustments.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport
    59 Renault 4CV

So all the wear was in/on the pins and no wear on the holes? That's good news.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Sometimes the bottom of the trunk panel, where the hinge bolts to, will be bent from years of use and abuse. If that metal is not flat it changes the geometry of the hinge action and doesn't allow the hinge to lower the lid like it should. Try shimming the 2 front bolts and see if it changes anything. From there you can access the situation and see if working the inner trunk metal would help.
      Much of this is trial and error, but usually the end result is a lid that fits.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thank you. I shimmed the two bolts that connect to the body. Did not think about the trunk bolts. That is what I will try next.
        Jim
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport
        59 Renault 4CV

Comment

So all the wear was in/on the pins and no wear in/on the holes?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I drilled the pins out slightly larger and put slightly larger Clevis pins. That took care of any wear that was either the pins or the hole. It produced a very tight fit with no play.
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport
            59 Renault 4CV

Comment

Working...
            X