Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gthawkr2
    replied
    Thanks Will post when I get the car back on the road.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    The same 75-47 rods in it now.

Leave a comment:

• gthawkr2
    replied
    I cleaned a little on the carb today. Found the "S"hook for the accel pump to be backwards. Corrected that. I had previously checked for vacuum leaks and none found. I may change the main and secondaries as suggested to .98 and .95 when I put it back in the car. What rods would you suggest with the .98 jets.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    /fine for you and exactly what I described. How many times is the street driven car going to see WOT and 6000 rpm, and 8.8 lbs boost? A stock SN-60 wont be able to make those boost numbers either. Stoiciometry @ sea level is 14.7:1. Supercharged engines like the charge cooling of a little richer AFR. 11.5 to 12 should be ideal for an R2 @ WOT. ( I would try to get it closer to 12. )
    Last edited by bezhawk; 08-11-2018, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KOOL R2
    replied
    I have an air fuel meter which reads 11.2 at WOT at 6000 rpm and 8.8 lbs boost on the track. Seems OK to me.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    .101 is too rich, try .98 primary jets, and .95 secondaries. 4" hg springs for the metering rods. I would guess you're about 10.9 to 11.5 afr.....only if you are running 10 +lbs boost @ over 6000 rpm are you needing this much fuel. Guessing without a AFR gauge. NO accurate way of knowing with the current fuel formulations. Anyone trying to get the most out of an engine should invest in the proper tuning tools.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 08-11-2018, 07:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    You could have weak/wrong metering rod springs. what is your idle vacuum,takeing off vac? its a fine line here also float level could be off. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Did you check for vacuum leaks?

Leave a comment:

• gthawkr2
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I pulled the carb off today to see what was in there. The mains and rods are as Kool R2 advised. I haven't checked the accel pump yet. Will check the compression later this weekend.

Thanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• KOOL R2
    replied
    I am currently using .101 main jets with 75X47 metering rods and .095 in the secondaries. I am also running 34 degrees advance ( distributor vacuum line disconnected and 2200 rpm) at the track using track fuel and 28 degrees around town on 94 octane non ethanol gas.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    very sluggish when starting off and I have to rev the engine up and kind of ride the clutch.
    What you're describing isn't main jets/metering rods. Most likely is idle circuit and/or ignition advance.

R2+ cam. . . is very sluggish when starting off and I have to rev the engine up and kind of ride the clutch.
    The R2+ cam does reduce low end torque, but not usually that much. What is your cranking compression?

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• gthawkr2
    started a topic Fuel System: AFB 3588 Carb

AFB 3588 Carb

I am getting ready to work on the carb on my 63 Gt R2 and need suggestions on Jets and metering rods. A little about the engine Rebuilt 289 bored .030 over with Ted Harbit heads and R2+ cam. I would like to know what modern Edelbrock combinations people have found to work well. The car currently runs but is very sluggish when starting off and I have to rev the engine up and kind of ride the clutch. Seems to be okay once the rpm's are up

Thanks for any help given.

Jim
Working...
X