dashboard removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: dashboard removal

I have an "always on" problem with my map light and one turn signal on my '48 Commander convertible. Can anyone tell me how to get access to the back of the dash so that I can try to track it down? The shop manual is no help.

My 50 Commander map light comes on when I open either front door, so I'd check the door switches first.
    I assume you don't have the map light turned on by the dash switch.

Comment

Dashboard Removal

I feel pretty dumb--found the info about three minutes after I posted this. It seems quite complicated. Is there an easy way to get access to the wiring behind the dash?

Comment

Dasbhoard Removal

I've checked both the door switches. The switch near the map light doesn't seem to do anything. I guess that could mean that it's broken in the "on" position....

Comment

Originally posted by obermotor View Post
          I feel pretty dumb--found the info about three minutes after I posted this. It seems quite complicated. Is there an easy way to get access to the wiring behind the dash?
          The only way is to stick your Head under there so you can see what you are doing, using a Flashlight.

Does your Turn signal work OK on the OTHER side? How about the STOP lights?
          It sounds like some wires are crossed at the Steering column wires disconnect to the Main Harness.
          The Color stripes and function should match on each side of that disconnect.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Easiest way to do extensive under-dash work is to remove the front seat. Place some padding or foam on the floor of the car, and lie on that, with your head under the dash. You can most everything, and work in comfort. Even take a nap, if the mood seizes you.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I agree with Gord. Also I like to used compressed air to blow around behind the dash, so you don't have dust dropping in your eyes. Otherwise it might pay to wear safety goggles.

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                Easiest way to do extensive under-dash work is to remove the front seat. Place some padding or foam on the floor of the car, and lie on that, with your head under the dash. You can most everything, and work in comfort. Even take a nap, if the mood seizes you.
                All good advise. The last sentence is the best.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                  All good advise. The last sentence is the best.
                  Looked at your picture gallery. Looks like you did everything the right way. I love the Loewy coupes.!

Comment

Originally posted by obermotor View Post
                    Looked at your picture gallery. Looks like you did everything the right way. I love the Loewy coupes.!
                    Thanks Michael.
                    I don't know about 'the right way', but I did do it 'my way'.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                    X