Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Clutch substitutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Torque Converter: Clutch substitutions

Looking for substitutions for clutch parts for my 49 2R5:

Illus # Description Part Number Quantity
    0201-1 Driven plate with facings 681073 1
    0202-1 cover with pressure plate, driving 197912 1
    If you think you may be able to help but need further specs, message me and I'll get them to you.

Thanks,

Paul
    1949 2r5 28196
    170ci 6cyl
    4spd

Your nearest Clutch Relining Co. will be your best bet to have the Pressure Plate rebuilt and the Disc relined or replaced.
    You will also want a New Throw-out Bearing and a Flywheel resurface job.

In the Larger Cities up there, they should have a Friction Material Clutch/Brake Shop for all the big Rigs they have up there.
    NEVER buy rebuilt or new Clutch Parts for an Old Stude. Truck at an Auto Parts Store, it will be poor quality imported, or not fit.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Post-WWII Studebaker clutch discs and pressure plates are in most cases the same as used by millions cars and trucks from other US manufacturers. There's nothing rare or difficult to find for most models.

Having said that, for most Stude owners, just go to one of our Stude vendors, pay a few extra CASO dollars and get exactly the right parts with no effort or worries.

NEVER buy rebuilt or new Clutch Parts for an Old Stude. Truck at an Auto Parts Store, it will be poor quality imported, or not fit.
      That's a pretty broad statement with which I cannot agree. Yes, some sell Chicom, but some still have good quality. Agree, some parts stores may not have listings for Studes, so "fit" depends on the buyer knowing what he needs, what more popular brands it also fit and being able to confirm it's correct before he leaves the store. That's why I suggested using our Stude vendors, but I've been getting the right parts from NAPA and Motion for fifty years now.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Post-WWII Studebaker clutch discs and pressure plates are in most cases the same as used by millions cars and trucks from other US manufacturers. There's nothing rare or difficult to find for most models.

Having said that, for most Stude owners, just go to one of our Stude vendors, pay a few extra CASO dollars and get exactly the right parts with no effort or worries.

jack vines
        I agree completely with this. One of the difficulties with new parts companies and young parts personnel is actually identifying the correct part numbers. That's why I use Stude vendors, but also keep old NAPA books and Hollander manuals.

It's important to remember that Studebaker, like other independent car companies did not make every piece of their cars and trucks. Things like generators, starters, trans missions, clutches, brakes were all outsourced to companies who made mostly those things. Other car companies bought from the same parts suppliers. So if you know what is what, you can figure out what other cars a certain part fits. The common Studebaker postwar master cylinder was also used by Willys and Nash for many of their vehicles. The 50 Commander generator is the same as the 50 Chevrolet.

The 50 Commander rear wheel cylinders were NLA for many years because they were also used on the 810/812 Cord. The Studebaker vendors ponied up the cost to have Wagner, or someone, make a new batch.

The easiest thing to do, if one does not want to be a researcher like me, is to buy from the Studebaker vendors. They have already sorted all these things out and sourced vendors. And they are usually not THAT much more expensive. Certainly not when you factor in the cost in time and aggravation trying to use a part that does not fit.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I've been to the venders that have websites and none had the clutch or pressure plates I was looking for, so the reason for my post - to find additional numbers that will substitute and expand my search. Sounds like I should contact those that require a phone call or email and see what they can find. There is one clutch shop in Anchorage. Will be contacting them tomorrow.

Thanks for the guidance.

Paul
          1949 2r5 28196
          170ci 6cyl
          4spd

Comment

For a 2R5, it's a 9 1/4" Clutch with a 1215 Lb. Pressure Plate with 9 Springs. The Disc has a 6 Inch inside dimension by 1/8" thick, 175 Ft. lbs. Torque, Borg & Beck model 9A7.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

We could also note that the disc center is 1-1/8”, 10 spline.

Comment

I show as having one of the clutch disk, 681073, in stock NOS, can't help with the pressure plate.

Will need to confirm as my inventory list is not always correct.

If interested send a PM.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                X