Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Shocked at shock absorbers: 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross
    replied
    I have Napa 94080 shocks on the back of my 50 Champ. Work great. Order a pair of mounting studs #650-1100 to use at the top.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I believe NAPA gets some classic parts from this crook called "Rare Parts" and they just source them from obsolete parts warehouses and just multiply the price by 10 or more if possible.

I have seen this "Rare Parts" price gouging show up on O'Reilly's and other's Websites. They were doing that for the common '51 to '66 Stude. Gabriel Classic Gas Shocks for our "Modern" Cars.

Leave a comment:

• bbbacres
    replied
    Thanks for the tips. Well, perhaps like others, I made an assumption that a Studebaker vendor would be much more than NAPA. The image one has is that these stores carry specialty items and you pay for the convenience. Do you mind telling me what vendor you checked? Just out of curiosity for our readers, what did you see the rear shocks for, the ones NAPA sells for $321.00? I did just check Studebaker International, and dug into their catalog. They sell the rear for the same as the front, about $35.00. So your point is well taken and thanks. It does say that often the mounting hardware has to be modified or played around with in some installs, but I will have whatever is on the old install if I need it. Thank you.
    Last edited by bbbacres; 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    Why do people not check established Studebaker vendors? Studebaker International lists front AND rear shock absorbers for $34.95 each. I know that some off the shelf shocks may sell for a little less, but how hard do you want to work adapting an incorrect fitting shock just to save a few bucks. I’m sure that a Champion Convertible is worth getting the correct shocks.
    A valid point. For the record I had assumed that the original poster had already checked Studebaker vendors..., or was only willing to purchase from a cash and carry, brick and mortar vendor.

I would disagree that a slightly different shock, (as I cited just more travel) but alike in every other way would not be an "incorrect" shock. And in many cases doing that and other adaptations is all some situations allow for. Thankfully for the OP not the case here.

Leave a comment:

• Studebakercenteroforegon
    replied
    Why do people not check established Studebaker vendors? Studebaker International lists front AND rear shock absorbers for $34.95 each. I know that some off the shelf shocks may sell for a little less, but how hard do you want to work adapting an incorrect fitting shock just to save a few bucks. I’m sure that a Champion Convertible is worth getting the correct shocks.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Originally posted by 52-fan
    Have you checked RockAuto? It is amazing what they can source.
    Never mind, out of curiosity I looked myself and they have the front but not rear.
    Nope, Rock Auto only lists a single option, for the front only.

Shocks are often used in similar catagories. It may be that there is an existing shock with the characteristics of the rear shocks needed. The only difference is they have a longer travel. One of the major shock manufacturers has a extensive list of the length (collapsed/extended) connector ends, and shock travel etc. available. So while it might not be "exact" they probably have something for another application that could be completely servisable.

The rear shocks on my '63 Rambler American are Datsun 510 wagon "Mulholland" shocks. The front shocks on my '61 Corvair wagon are also used on mid 60's Buick Riviera's. Same shock but VERY diverse weight loads. The rear shocks on my Pinto wagon are rare (and pricy) but using the sedan shocks I just stacked shock washers on each end to compensate for the needed 'reach' and got back 1"+ of the desired length. Never an issue. So, there might be unstated options available.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bbbacres
    started a topic Shocks: Shocked at shock absorbers: 1950 Champion

Shocked at shock absorbers: 1950 Champion

I would like to replace the nearly antique shock absorbers on my '50 Champion Convertible. I called Napa and asked just for the standard or "basic" shocks, nothing fancy. I was pretty surprised. $33.98 each for the front shocks. As for the rear, they were a shocking $320.99. According to the counter rep, this is classed in their catalog as a "rare part" and NAPA does not make one.

So has someone replaced their shocks at a much more reasonable price? Any advice appreciated!!!

Bruce
Working...
X