Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

pilot bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: pilot bearing

About 7 or 8 years ago, some one posted about using a ball bearing pressed into the Stude flywheel flange to support the G/M input shaft when using a G/M trans. I can't find the post!I need the bearing p/n or the o.d. of the bearing. Thanks in advance! -Jim

Why not just replace the pilot bushing with one of the appropriate size? If you can't find one that fits "off the rack" a Chevy one can easilly be turned down to fit the Stude crank.
    sigpic

Comment

Need to extend the support into the clutch area about an inch. The snout on the Stude. is longer than the Chev.- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
        Need to extend the support into the clutch area about an inch. The snout on the Stude. is longer than the Chev.- Jim
        Check with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. It will be made out of brass.

Comment

I remember there was a ball bearing listed.- Jim

Comment

If I remember right it was a bearing for a Ford alternator. Maybe Craig can chime in with the thread.

Comment

You may be thinking of a post of mine concerning using a pilot bearing for a Ford Mustang pressed into the Studebaker crank in place of the bushing. This provided a perfect solution for a FMS T5 installation in an Avanti. The bearing is identical in overall dimensions to the rear bearing in a Prestolite alternator, but is open (pass thru) with one end having a shaft seal to retain the lube.

Comment

The appropriate extended bushing (not one with a bearing) used to be sold by several suppliers for many years. I think I still have one in the shop.

If you need measurements, etc. to have one made, let me know and I'll try to find it.

Comment

If you would! I don't want to take my trans. etc. out 'till I have the parts to put it back together. -Thanks- Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X